• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(Sharn's Unwanted Opinion) The laws of travel
So, here at mcompute, we have a new regular feature which because most people will quite frankly not give a toss. I introduce to you Sharn's Unwanted Opinion:

This time my subject is stupid transport laws... Bear with me and you'll see what I mean:

The man who can't use a wheelchair
Ok, not technically a wheelchair but the amazing tank chair. A man has been told by the DVLA that his £15,000 mobility scooter can't be classed as a mobility scooter because (at 170cm wide and 220Kg) it's 22cm too wide and 100kg too heavy. The DVLA's solution? The bloke needs to get a Class H (or tracked vehicle) license, which means he can use it on the road.

What's wrong with this? Well for a start have you ever seen the interior of a tank?

There's a fair more controls than there are on Tank chair (which has a single lever for speed and steering)

Unless I'm mistaken, this ruling means he also has to pay Vehicle Exise Duty (or car tax) for a Tank, which is a HELL of a lot of money, getting it registered (with registration plates and a logbook). There's also the adjustments that he'll need to make to increase the top speed and range to that of a motor vehicle. Alternatively he can PUSH the chair across roads and pavements and use it on private land... Remember this bloke's disabled which is the whole reason for the chair in the first place.

What a load of bollocks.

Fined for riding a Segway on the pavement

This poor bloke bought a £5,000 Segway and in February last year was charged with riding on the pavement.

Hang on a minute... The Segway website says the biggest machine is 83.82cm wide and 54.4Kg, which is a far cry from the mobility scooter argument above, so what's their reason?

Mr Coates "wilfully rode a motor vehicle, namely a Segway, upon a footpath or causeway by the side of the road, made or set apart for the use or accommodation of foot passengers". And to bring him to prosecution the court charged under the Highways act 1865 (No, that is not a typo).

Yet the Highway Code tells us that mobility scooters are allowed on the pavement, so what grounds do they have to charge the bloke, and fine him £75, order him to pay £250 in court costs and a £15 victim surcharge (which unless I've read the article wrong, there was no victim involved)

What a joke.
[Image: Bulbasaur_by_bigsharn.jpg]
As you do...
*Patiently waits for Pack3t to comment*
*.. Begins cooking popcorn for the show, anybody want some?*
[Image: nomnomnom.jpg]
;7$=v?%v%#5>v7v8994
The decrypt code is V, I could not make it any simpler!
Drumm look over there!

This popcorn isn't bad at all, I ate all mine in the last "conflicting opinions" thread.
I am sorry to disappoint, but since he is reporting fact with only commentary on the subject sprinkled in, I really have nothing to grill him over. Actually this is one of the more amusing anecdotes I have seen from him in a while. Don't worry though, you never have to wait too long for me to give him a proverbial slap upside his big Irish head. In life you can depend on death, taxes, and Pack3t schooling Meatloaf.
[Image: icpn5k.jpg]
Trolls are the last thing you need to be concerned with.

VCD Wrote:// Forever more, count and reply, bitch.
..So no big fight? Gayyy.
@PerryThePerson
Made a Twitter cause everyone bitch's on Facebook.

Twitter? U MAD
I aren't Irish (though I am of Irish descent).
As you do...
(19-01-2011, 02:20 AM)bigsharn Wrote: I aren't Irish (though I am of Irish descent).

Someone, please help me make sense of this post.
Having long hair is great until you have to pull a footlong out of the dog's butt. flatank.blogspot.com
I. AM. LATCH.
(19-01-2011, 05:15 AM)latch Wrote:
(19-01-2011, 02:20 AM)bigsharn Wrote: I aren't Irish (though I am of Irish descent).

latch I will try to make sense of the backwards logic of Meatloaf. He "aren't" Irish because he is Irish, and not English. So if he is built like an Irishman, drinks like an Irishman, has the flaming red hair of an Irishman, but is not Irish he must therefore be a giant leprechaun.
(Mr Anderson got really fucking ugly in your sig)
[Image: icpn5k.jpg]
Trolls are the last thing you need to be concerned with.

VCD Wrote:// Forever more, count and reply, bitch.
And my grammar shame is exposed Sad

It's actually Yorkshire dialect, though grammatically it's incorrect it's my language dammit!
As you do...
(19-01-2011, 05:51 AM)Pack3t SynAck3r Wrote:
(19-01-2011, 05:15 AM)latch Wrote:

latch I will try to make sense of the backwards logic of Meatloaf. He "aren't" Irish because he is Irish, and not English. So if he is built like an Irishman, drinks like an Irishman, has the flaming red hair of an Irishman, but is not Irish he must therefore be a giant leprechaun.
(Mr Anderson got really fucking ugly in your sig)

Where's me gold and me lucky charms!? They're magically delicious!
Having long hair is great until you have to pull a footlong out of the dog's butt. flatank.blogspot.com
I. AM. LATCH.