• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[TUT][How to] Set a HTML file as your desktop wallpaper
[TUT][How to] Set a HTML file as your desktop wallpaper

This is a quick tutorial on how to set your Windows desktop wallpaper as a HTML file, the possibilities from here onwards are pretty much endless as you can do things such as embedding videos. Another bonus, no extra software is needed.

Steps

To set your desktop background as a HTML file, follow the following steps.

1) Right click the desktop and select Properties

2) Select the Desktop tab then click Browse

3) Change the "Files of type:" from Background files to HTML Documents then select your HTML file. Apply, then OK.

You can do things such as embedding video

1) Put the following code into a HTML file.

[code=html]
<html>
<body>
<center>
<embed pluginspage="http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/MediaPlayer/" src="FILENAME.mpg" type="application/x-mplayer2" showstatusbar="0" volume="0" loop="true" autostart="1" height="800" width="1280">
</center>
</body>
</html>
[/code]

2) Replace FILENAME.mpg with the name of your video file.

3) Replace height=”800″ with the vertical pixels your screen displays +100 (If you run 1024×768 you’ll use 868)

4) Replace width=”1280″ with the horizontal pixels your screen displays (If you run 1024×768 you’ll use 1024)

5) Save the notepad file as ANYTHING.html

6) Copy the video file to the directory as the html file

7) Set the HTML file as your wallpaper
Worth Noting: Doesn't work in Vista/Windows7 Afaik. I did try and follow along best I could, but the setting of backgrounds is changed much in Vista/W7
[Image: nomnomnom.jpg]
;7$=v?%v%#5>v7v8994
The decrypt code is V, I could not make it any simpler!
Yeah. I think this only works in XP. I was having a play with it, trying to get Google as the wallpaper on my XP VM - but no dice.
I believe it works in 2000. But don't quote me on that. iirc in 2000 you could create HTML objects, as opposed to having it as a full wallpaper.
[Image: nomnomnom.jpg]
;7$=v?%v%#5>v7v8994
The decrypt code is V, I could not make it any simpler!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Change the location of the Desktop / My Documents and My Pictures in Windows XP Mark 0 5,647 08-06-2012, 11:22 AM
Last Post: Mark
  How to record your desktop in Linux Mark 4 13,428 23-04-2011, 02:23 PM
Last Post: Drumm
  How to add the recycle bin to the desktop Mark 0 4,994 21-11-2010, 07:27 PM
Last Post: Mark