• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[WHS] Home Media Server Part 3: Creating a Torrent Server
If you're like me, you like to switch between OS's but what happens when you are downloading a huge Torrent file on Windows, and really don't want to interrupt it? This is where you need one server to download your torrents for you.
Credits go to Paul Marshall over at GeekZilla for creating the original guide I am now re-writing.

Start by RDP'ing into your server, and logging in as Admin. This allows you to install software from that new fangeldy internets. So open up your ghetto browser, and point it's address too http://www.utorrent.com/downloads/complete?os=win
Using this link will ensure you only download the latest version of uTorrent.
I will leave you to work out how to install the software yourself, I have more faith in my users than Mark. When installing don't enable "Start uTorrent at system boot" Or something a long those lines. It's trying to confuse you, it actually means when you log in. That isn't what we want.

Once you've finished the install, it's time to open uTorrent. Hit Options -> Preferences, then on the left click WebUI. A similar screen to below should come up.
[Image: 5191092416_e9554a636c_z.jpg]
Where I have circled in red, you should tick. (I missed one, the second check box, but I'm sure you can work it out by yourself)
Where I have highlighted yellow, I recommend you change. This won't necessarily make your uTorrent server more secure, but there is some security through obscurity.

Next, click "Directories" on the left, nearer the top than WebUI. Then set your download location. Again, this is incredibly simple. Just a case of click, click, click.
[Image: 5190525905_cb2724bae4_b.jpg]

So far, we have a nice, simple uTorrent WebUI Server. But at the moment it requires you too log in on the server before it will load up. I want to completely bypass this by installing it as a Windows Service, which will make it run before log in. This is where things begin to get.. dirty. I don't take responsibility for your server blowing up, it asking to marry you, or breaking.
[code=bash]
copy "C:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\srvany.exe"
cd C:\Program Files\uTorrent\
instsrv uTorrent "C:\Program Files\uTorrent\srvany.exe"
[/code]
You want to run those commands in the command line. Then save the following file as uTorrent.reg and open.
Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\uTorrent\Parameters]
"Application"="C:\\Program Files\\utorrent\\utorrent.exe"

You then need to go to Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services.
Scroll down to uTorrent, Right-Click and press properties. The video below pretty much explains itself after that, just to save me a helluva lot of explaining.

Then, simply, reboot :grin You're good to go :thumbs
[Image: nomnomnom.jpg]
;7$=v?%v%#5>v7v8994
The decrypt code is V, I could not make it any simpler!
Quote:I will leave you to work out how to install the software yourself, I have more faith in my users than Mark.

lol. If people are setting up and configuring Windows servers they should be able to install utorrent. It's just some noobs people are..

Nice tutorial, i'm yet to play with the web GUI for utorrent i may give it a go because i stole the graphics card out of my server to have it in here. I usually VNC in to it but i like a monitor on as well for some reason.

:thumbs
I have hit ONE wall. Sad
If you login and start uTorrent (As RSS isn't supported on the WebUI currently) Then start a download that way, it won't show up on your WebUI, because there is two processes of uTorrent. The Service one, and the one you have manually started.
[Image: nomnomnom.jpg]
;7$=v?%v%#5>v7v8994
The decrypt code is V, I could not make it any simpler!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2012 / 2012 R2 in a Workgroup Mark 0 8,881 26-12-2014, 07:43 AM
Last Post: Mark
  My experience with Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2012 or 2012 R2 Mark 0 9,525 26-12-2014, 07:34 AM
  How to move the WsusContent folder (Windows server) Mark 0 4,697 16-02-2014, 05:47 AM
  The correct order to restart Blackberry Enterprise Server Express servies (BESX) Mark 0 5,930 04-10-2012, 11:33 PM
  Windows server 2008 on a laptop? Mr. President 6 13,442 02-01-2012, 11:17 PM
Last Post: Drumm