• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to record your desktop in Linux
How to record your desktop in Linux

Linux is in many ways, a "step behind" windows. As I've totally moved over, i found myself needing to record my desktop / windows / selected area to produce things such as youtube videos.

You're going to need two programs, gtk record my desktop to do the actual recording then mencoder to encode your video from .ogv (Ogg Theora) into .avi

Steps

1) Installing gtk record my desktop;

Code:
sudo apt-get install gtk-recordmydesktop

2) Installing mencoder

Code:
sudo apt-get install mencoder

3) Once you've installed gtk record my desktop it's available under Applications > Sound and Video > gtk-recordMyDesktop

Open it.

Here's the main program:

[Image: gtk1.png]

We need to change a few things, click Advanced.

Frames per second: 6
Encode On the Fly: Yes
Zero Compression: No
Quick Subsampling: No
Full shot at every frame: Yes

[Image: gtk2.png]

Back to the main window, to choose what to record, make a selection in the window in the top left (you'll see your monitor(s). Once you've done so you'll see a rectangle appear around the section that's being recorded. Hit record.

[Image: gtk3.png]

To stop the recording, go to your task bar (top bar) and hit the grey square.

[Image: gtk4.png]

It'll then turn in to a red circle, (when the recording has stopped).

[Image: gtk5.png]

By default, the recordings are stored in your home folder.

OK, so now you have a .ogv file, pretty useless especially if you want to upload to youtube.

Converting ogv files in to avi

Code:
mencoder -idx inputfile.ogv -ovc lavc -oac mp3lame -o output.avi

:tux
I also use linux and and also donot have any way to record on desktop but the detailed steps provided by you are really helpful.
(22-04-2011, 02:50 PM)talentsfromindia Wrote: I also use linux and and also donot have any way to record on desktop but the detailed steps provided by you are really helpful.

Why no ffmpeg? Also, Talentsfromindia has the best quote in his PM. I recognise it from somewhere, not quite sure.
[Image: nomnomnom.jpg]
;7$=v?%v%#5>v7v8994
The decrypt code is V, I could not make it any simpler!
talentsfromindia doesn't have a signature, focus Dom, keep your eye on the game.
Sorry. Broken seat. I'm way to far under the screen than is fair to anyone.
[Image: nomnomnom.jpg]
;7$=v?%v%#5>v7v8994
The decrypt code is V, I could not make it any simpler!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Change the location of the Desktop / My Documents and My Pictures in Windows XP Mark 0 5,619 08-06-2012, 11:22 AM
Last Post: Mark
  [TUT][How to] Set a HTML file as your desktop wallpaper Mark 3 10,297 25-12-2010, 04:27 AM
Last Post: Drumm
  How to add the recycle bin to the desktop Mark 0 4,979 21-11-2010, 07:27 PM
Last Post: Mark