• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Time for a good laugh, texting is..
.. a health risk!

Parents have been warned to watch out for signs of excessive texting in their children, amid concerns it poses a new health risk.

Teenagers sending 120 text messages a day are more likely to drink, smoke and have sex, claims a US doctor.

Scott Frank told a US conference that extreme texting and use of social media is linked to higher levels of risky behaviour.

A UK expert said internet addicts are at risk of other bad habits.

Dr Scott Frank, a physician and public health expert at Case Western Reserve School of Medicine in Cleveland, Ohio, surveyed about 4,000 high school students, aged 13 to 18, at 20 local schools on their texting and social media habits.

Almost 20% were classified as hyper-texters - sending more than 120 text messages on a school day.

Taking into account lifestyle factors and income, they were more likely than other students to have smoked, drunk alcohol, used drugs and had sex.

Similar findings were reported for the one in 10 teenagers who fell into the category of hyper-networking - spending more than three hours of a school day on social networking websites.

Dr Frank said: "The startling results of this study suggest that when left unchecked texting and other widely popular methods of staying connected can have dangerous health effects on teenagers.

"This should be a wake-up call for parents to not only help their children stay safe by not texting and driving, but by discouraging excessive use of the cell phone or social websites in general."

"It appears very similar to gambling but it's a competitive behaviour that has features very similar to other addictions."

Summarised from BBC News.
So, because I would rather text my girlfriend then call her I will be more likely to drink, smoke, and have sex?

This is a bad thing? Well shit.

(I won't smoke but the other two don't sound to bad)
@PerryThePerson
Made a Twitter cause everyone bitch's on Facebook.

Twitter? U MAD
This amounts to a text every 8 minutes for 16 hours straight. They are addicts and hate to feel alone. What will fill that void? More addictions.
Having long hair is great until you have to pull a footlong out of the dog's butt. flatank.blogspot.com
I. AM. LATCH.
I love how latch did the maths involved XD

In honesty I update Facebook and text at about the same rate :$
[Image: Bulbasaur_by_bigsharn.jpg]
As you do...
Now it's been put into lemans terms with the maths conversion, that is pretty ridiculous.
(12-11-2010, 06:58 PM)Mark Wrote: Now it's been put into lemans terms with the maths conversion, that is pretty ridiculous.

Right? It's like having two full time jobs you have to pay extra to do.
Having long hair is great until you have to pull a footlong out of the dog's butt. flatank.blogspot.com
I. AM. LATCH.
(12-11-2010, 05:00 AM)latch Wrote: This amounts to a text every 8 minutes for 16 hours straight. They are addicts and hate to feel alone. What will fill that void? More addictions.

I send about 2-3 texts a minute. Am I a bad person? :cry

@PerryThePerson
Made a Twitter cause everyone bitch's on Facebook.

Twitter? U MAD
(12-11-2010, 11:39 PM)Special Chris Wrote:
(12-11-2010, 05:00 AM)latch Wrote: This amounts to a text every 8 minutes for 16 hours straight. They are addicts and hate to feel alone. What will fill that void? More addictions.

I send about 2-3 texts a minute. Am I a bad person? :cry

All of us are bad people to some extent. Me- I'm a selfish intolerant jerk!
I. AM. LATCH.
Well this is as load of rubbish. We only drink SOMETIMES :tongue

Seriously though, it's all a load of shit. I am a teenager. There is a group of around 5-20 (out of 300) in each year at my school who Drink, Smoke & have sex. And Most of them don't drink often, and some are still virgins.

These statistics always make me laugh.
[Image: nomnomnom.jpg]
;7$=v?%v%#5>v7v8994
The decrypt code is V, I could not make it any simpler!
I lost my V at 14 and started drinking at 15... I hardly used my phone until I hit 17

I don't see a correlation here
[Image: Bulbasaur_by_bigsharn.jpg]
As you do...