• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How to back up / copy DVD(s) on Linux using k9copy

How to install and use k9copy under Ubuntu 10.04

Basically, K9Copy is a small utility which allows copying DVD's on Linux. This is just a very quick how to from my experience, i've just had to install and use this to back up my own DVD.

I find it easier to do things from the terminal, and it's usually faster. So here goes.

1. Open your terminal and escalate to root privileges.

Code:
sudo su

2. Installing k9copy

Code:
apt-get install k9copy

3. 99% of the time, you'll need to install codecs so that the program will work. A lot of people had a problem with it just crashing under Ubuntu 10.04 - this is the simple fix.

Install libdvdread4:
Code:
apt-get install libdvdread4

Install libdvdcss2:
Code:
/usr/share/doc/libdvdread4/install-css.sh

That's the installation, finished. Pretty simple, eh?

Running and using k9copy

Starting the program

1. Open the terminal, as root and type.

Code:
k9copy

Then program should then open, DON'T close the terminal, otherwise the program will also close.

The interface is really simple, anyway, just head over to "open", select your DVD then choose your output - i just did mine to an .ISO (image file), you can have it as .MP4 if you want though. Then click copy.

Program window

[Image: qysh7r.jpg]

Progression window

[Image: t0jewh.jpg]

It total, from Googling for various different DVD copying tools for Linux, finding k9copy, installing it, figuring out how to solve the crash problem, then copying the DVD took me about 30 minutes. With this tut, you'll have it installed in under 3 minutes.

Further reading, (K9copy's website)
http://k9copy.sourceforge.net/
Didn't you find Handbrake Tongue?
I'm not a huge fan of KDE programs, especially within the Gnome environment. Just goes to show there is more than one way too do something.
[Image: nomnomnom.jpg]
;7$=v?%v%#5>v7v8994
The decrypt code is V, I could not make it any simpler!
I came across it, that was one of the results but 80% of them were for k9copy. So i just opted for that. Yeah, also it didn't add in to the applications menu under anything, which i strange, meaning you have to start it from terminal.
You know how do add it to the Menu?
[Image: nomnomnom.jpg]
;7$=v?%v%#5>v7v8994
The decrypt code is V, I could not make it any simpler!
It's there now. The first install i did was dodgy, so i re-installed it, installed the libs etc and then it worked.

[Image: swdzww.jpg]

But without it there, nope. Maybe a new tutorial thread? :happy