• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Preview: World of Tanks
Well, me being the awesomeness that is Sharn I’ve managed to acquire a key to the World of Tanks Closed Beta so here we go, a little preview to what we get…

First of all there are two factions in the Beta; the German forces and Russian, and you start with a free tank from each coutry: The Russian MS-1 and the German Leichttraktor. Each faction has it’s strengths and weaknesses but the idea is that as you progress and rank up, you improve the vehicle you’re using with upgrades and eventually unlock the next tier of vehicles.

The Russian tanks tend to be quick and nimbler than their German counterparts but this is counterbalanced nicely by the amount of firepower and armour on the German tanks. Both of which are upgradeable as you continue through the game, suspension (tracks) and engine affecting speed and acceleration respectively, turrets and radio equipment increasing the turret speed and range and the guns… Well, self-explanatory really.

In the different factions there are also types of tanks, you have Light, Medium and Heavy tanks, as well as Tank Destroyers and SPGs The first three are pretty self-explanatory, but Tank Destroyers and SPG need a little more explanation: The SPG is a self-propelled gun, or an artillery. These fire over longer ranges and tend to be my personal favourites. Tank destroyers tend to be a compromise between a tank and an artillery weapon and though they have a great amount of power aren’t too accurate and don’t have the advantage of a rotating turret (so if the enemy comes up behind you, you’re screwed).

There’s a little more to it as well, in that there are crews within your tanks, whom you train up and move onto your next tank, which helps the skill level massively. All of the tanks are based on WWII models and the game is overall good fun.

Having never played World Of Warcraft I can’t really compare, but I imagine this will be pretty much the same, but having tanks instead of elves, shells instead of spells and geeks rather than the nerds you tend to get (come on WOW players, admit it…)

Overall it’s a hell of a game and I hope that the creators don’t turn the final release into a flop reminiscent of APB…

UPDATE: The developers have just unveiled a new patch, which includes a couple more maps, and more importantly; a whole selection of American tanks
[Image: Bulbasaur_by_bigsharn.jpg]
As you do...
The game is just freacking awesome. 7 quite detailed maps and a vast variety of tanks to drive. The game is rather stable (almost no lags) with not many bugs spotted.
Played it and I didn't find it extremely original or amazing. Yeah, detailed maps and tanks but feh, all new games have that anyway.

Conclusion: Alien Swarm beats it
They see me trollin', they hatin'.
Updated the thread
[Image: Bulbasaur_by_bigsharn.jpg]
As you do...
Still looks like a mediocre game, IMHO
They see me trollin', they hatin'.