PC
42.86%
Laptop
57.14%
14 vote(s)
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PC or Laptop
(13-08-2010, 12:59 AM)bigsharn Wrote: In what application would you use 2x hex core 3GHz+ Xeon chips? Or three 30" monitors? Or 24Gb RAM? Or for that matter, any of the rest of that list.

If you say "folding" I will -rep you.

Folding on one computer is pointless. Folding is done using of hundreds of thousands of machines. Not only that but folding uses the GPUs(which you failed to reference), not the CPUs. If you even have to ask that question then you just don't get it. However I like you so I will humor you with an answer. In short, I could do pretty much any damn thing I wanted to do. Practically speaking, if I had 30,000 to drop into a computer I would run probably ubuntu x64 as my host, and have probably anywhere between 5-10 VMs running at any given time, doing anything from bruteforcing hashes to to running my development IDEs, analyzing malware, running my C&Cs for my honeypots, streaming video to 5 peripherals at once in 1080p(transcoding on the fly of course). Basically I would do the same shit I do now except a lot more at once and with more speed. For the record I don't build machines with intel processors or nvidia graphics cards. I am an AMD/ATI advocate.

What is it with you and the rep +/- offers/threats? -repping a fellow Vip will just piss them off and they will probably -rep you in turn. What's the point? Hell FTR I am the one who found and shared your youtube vid. Before that you were just Bigsharn the off the wall Irishman. But now and forever you are the infamous screaming MEATLOAF! So quit hating bitch. (BTW I would lend some spare GPU cycles to folding@home too!) :thumbs
[Image: icpn5k.jpg]
Trolls are the last thing you need to be concerned with.

VCD Wrote:// Forever more, count and reply, bitch.
Holy mother of God, I want that PC so badly
They see me trollin', they hatin'.
(13-08-2010, 04:40 AM)Pack3t SynAck3r Wrote: Folding on one computer is pointless.
Agreed, but some people only dedicate one computer to F@H which runs 24/7

(13-08-2010, 04:40 AM)Pack3t SynAck3r Wrote: Folding uses the GPUs(which you failed to reference), not the CPUs.

They used to have a F@H for multi core CPUs as well, I can't seem to find it anymore though

(13-08-2010, 04:40 AM)Pack3t SynAck3r Wrote: If you even have to ask that question then you just don't get it. However I like you so I will humor you with an answer...

Ok, I stand corrected, most normal people wouldn't use anywhere near that much apart from for 3D rendering and modelling. As a photoshopper I doubt I'd even use the first six cores.

(13-08-2010, 04:40 AM)Pack3t SynAck3r Wrote: I am an AMD/ATI advocate.
Fanboy... (though I'm one to talk... Intel/ATI myself)

(13-08-2010, 04:40 AM)Pack3t SynAck3r Wrote: What is it with you and the rep +/- offers/threats?
It's the best threat I have

(13-08-2010, 04:40 AM)Pack3t SynAck3r Wrote: What's the point? Hell FTR I am the one who found and shared your youtube vid.
That doesn't win favour with me

(13-08-2010, 04:40 AM)Pack3t SynAck3r Wrote: Before that you were just Bigsharn the off the wall Irishman.
I'm not Irish... My name's Irish and my Gran was born there, but I aren't Irish.
[Image: Bulbasaur_by_bigsharn.jpg]
As you do...
Am I the only one that prefers nVIDIA GeForces?
Yes, yes you are.
[Image: Bulbasaur_by_bigsharn.jpg]
As you do...
(13-08-2010, 08:38 PM)T3hRogue Wrote: Am I the only one that prefers nVIDIA GeForces?
You aren't the ONLY one certainly. I prefer ATI because everything is based on OpenGL. Nvidia has PhysX which it won't allow ATI cards to use by default, PhysX becomes disabled when an ATI card is present, there is a lawsuit coming over it as a mater of fact. It just shows that Nvidia is a pain in the ass that doesn't play well with others. However as of right now they have the most powerful card on the market......until ATI releases its 28nm tech for sure if not when they roll out their 6000 series.
Quote:
(13-08-2010, 04:40 AM)Pack3t SynAck3r Wrote: Folding uses the GPUs(which you failed to reference), not the CPUs.

They used to have a F@H for multi core CPUs as well, I can't seem to find it anymore though
They have clients for intel based macs, and x86 based linux, but they have never had a CPU client for WinDOHs. GPUs can calculate floating point variable calculations at a much higher rate than CPU's and it is somewhat a waste of time and resources making clients for hardware that is inefficient for their purpose
Quote:
(13-08-2010, 04:40 AM)Pack3t SynAck3r Wrote: If you even have to ask that question then you just don't get it. However I like you so I will humor you with an answer...

Ok, I stand corrected, most normal people wouldn't use anywhere near that much apart from for 3D rendering and modelling. As a photoshopper I doubt I'd even use the first six cores.

Some will look at that machine and think "Think of all I could do with it!" Others will think "What am supposed to do with it?" Sometimes creative geniuses fail to show genius or creativity in certain situations.
Quote:Fanboy... (though I'm one to talk... Intel/ATI myself)
All of us have our preferences, and so all of us are fanboys to something. I like AMD chips because you get more bang for your buck. I would rather pay 300 for a really good CPU that I can overclock A LOT than pay 300% more for "the best" one that performs only 20% better than my really good one.
Quote:
(13-08-2010, 04:40 AM)Pack3t SynAck3r Wrote: What is it with you and the rep +/- offers/threats?
It's the best threat I have
Why do you need to threaten?
Quote:
(13-08-2010, 04:40 AM)Pack3t SynAck3r Wrote: What's the point? Hell FTR I am the one who found and shared your youtube vid.
That doesn't win favour with me
:hehe I didn't hit the upload button, you did. Meatloaf 4 life.
Quote:
(13-08-2010, 04:40 AM)Pack3t SynAck3r Wrote: Before that you were just Bigsharn the off the wall Irishman.
I'm not Irish... My name's Irish and my Gran was born there, but I aren't Irish.
Keep telling yourself that, denial will work eventually. I am already starting to believe you are Polish. Tongue

I'd use 3x 30"s and would probably want more - infact, i would i'd use two if not 3 of them for my main computing then like packet says If you're running VM's well space is nice.
(15-08-2010, 12:11 AM)The Wing Wrote: I'd use 3x 30"s and would probably want more - infact, i would i'd use two if not 3 of them for my main computing then like packet says If you're running VM's well space is nice.
Indeed, I was actually thinking I would put 36GB instead of of 24GB or RAM also. I already have 16GB on my desktop and I would rather double what I have now over a measly 50% increase. You could always double up with two of the new six monitor ATI eyefinity line of video cards for a total of 12 monitors of output.......(LINK HERE) If you are going to go ridiculous on a build you might as well go completely "throw me in a nut-house with a straight jacket" looney. :thumbs

I'm like the Architect. I have hundreds of TVs. Does that count?
I'm actually upgrading my graphics card soon - atm i'm only on a single PCI-e 16x board though and those cards are expensive. :unhappy