• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using SyncToy 2.1 to Synchronise two external hard drives in Windows

Using SyncToy 2.1 to Synchronise two external hard drives in Windows

SyncToy 2.1 is a free application that synchronises files and folders between locations. Version: 2.1 Date Published: 11/24/2009

System requirements
Supported Operating Systems: Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP, Windows Server 2003

Microsoft .NET Framework v2.0
1GHz CPU
512MB RAM

More information and download
http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/det...x?id=15155

In this example I'm syncing two external USB hard drives, both attached to a Windows 2003 server. The way this is set up is that the Y:\ drive is shared on the network but is synced locally with the Z drive.

Steps
  • Go to the link above, download SyncToy and run through the installer.

[Image: 001.png]

• Open SyncToy and Create a New Folder Pair

[Image: 002.png]

• In my example I'm syncing the root of two disks, not folders, but it works the same.

[Image: 003.png]

• There are 3 options available, Syncronize, Echo and Contribute. A short explanation is next to each one when you click.
    Syncronize basically keeps both of the disks the same, like a RAID 1.

[Image: 004.png]

• Click change options and Untick "Save overwritten files in the Recycle Bin" and tick "Exclude system files"

[Image: 005.png]

• Click Preview at the bottom to see what will happen when you run the sync.

[Image: 006.png]

• The error you see there was because it was trying to copy System Volume Information, (hence ticking exclude system files above)

[Image: 007.png]

• Now to automate the sync. Open Task Scheduler / Scheduled Tasks.

[Image: 008.png]

• Make a new daily task.

[Image: 009.png]

• In the end, I ended up making a one liner batch script and just pointed task scheduler to run it.

[Image: 010.png]

• See the script here. I've also set it so that the output of the sync will be saved in to a file called log.txt in the program files folder of SyncToy.

[Image: 011.png]

• If you've set the task to run every 12 hours, I've told it to stop after 11 hours if it hasn't finished. I later changed this to 11 hours, 50 mins.

[Image: 012.png]

• Here's what's in the log file. This will change with each sync.

[Image: 013.png]

I had to do something like this because you cannot RAID 1 external USB drives.. It works surprisingly well.

Great guide!I've wondered how to do that for quite some time now!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mapping network drives through Group Policy Mark 0 8,494 06-10-2012, 10:21 PM
Last Post: Mark
  [Windows 7] How to store your my documents on a different partition or hard drive Mark 0 5,883 24-04-2011, 10:09 PM
  How to format a hard drive partition in Windows 7 Mark 1 7,281 24-04-2011, 12:21 PM
Last Post: Drumm
  How to format a USB / External drive Mark 0 4,235 22-05-2010, 11:30 PM