• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Windows server 2008 on a laptop?
i have an old laptop that i was thinking of turning into a home server, what would guys recommend?

i can do all the general grunt work with google, just wondering if you guys had any advice?

In particular what os would you guys recommend

Laptop
hp
4gb ram
250gd hard drive
window 7
64 bit
one year old
You can install 2008 on it no problem, I've actually got a client that I'm setting up with a 2003 install on an older laptop to re-use it and it's low powered.

When you say server, what sort of server? What are your plans for it?
Windows Server 2008 as a home server on a laptop? If you enjoy bloated slowness it is definitely the right pick for you. Look for the penguin perhaps.....
[Image: icpn5k.jpg]
Trolls are the last thing you need to be concerned with.

VCD Wrote:// Forever more, count and reply, bitch.
Why not go FreeBSD? You *must* stick it on Ethernet either way.
[Image: nomnomnom.jpg]
;7$=v?%v%#5>v7v8994
The decrypt code is V, I could not make it any simpler!
accually my main idea was to stream movies to my iphone from the server but i discovered i can do that with dropbox just upload the video and you can stream it. takes awhile but its okay.
So you're after more of a media server? There's a few alternatives out there for that you'd just have to ensure iPhone capability but some may have apps etc making it very easy.
Plex?­­­­­­­­­­
[Image: nomnomnom.jpg]
;7$=v?%v%#5>v7v8994
The decrypt code is V, I could not make it any simpler!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to move the WsusContent folder (Windows server) Mark 0 4,650 16-02-2014, 05:47 AM
Last Post: Mark
  [How To] Enable and configure previous versions / "shadow copies" on a Windows Server Mark 0 10,796 26-08-2011, 11:40 PM
  Windows server hit with a virus - mass emails being sent through exchange! Mark 0 4,786 07-08-2011, 07:33 PM
  [WHS] Home Media Server Part 3: Creating a Torrent Server Drumm 2 11,264 21-11-2010, 04:29 PM
Last Post: Drumm