• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FREE must have Linux programs
As more and more people are moving over to Linux, (good move). We've also got a few knocking around mcompute and I use Linux as my full time operating system so i thought i'd let you in on some of the programs that i use daily.

(They're also all FREE!)

Office programs
OpenOffice

Text editors
gedit
vi
nano
emacs

Graphical
GIMP
Krita

Media players
VLC

Audio editors
Audacity

FTP clients
filezilla

Web browsers
Firefox
Google Chrome

Messenger
kmess
emesene
aMSN

IRC clients
xchat

Port scanners
nmap

Network tools
Wireshark
ettercap
PackETH - ethernet packet generator for security audits

Virtualisation
VMware Player
Virtualbox

Emulators
Wine

Development
Eclipse - IDE which is very good for Java and Android dev

File readers
xChm - Reads chm files which natively most distributions don't do (I have a lot of old ebooks and manuals in this format)

File converters
chm2pdf

Tune up programs
Bleachbit - Deletes obsolete files, languages, removes broken links, temp files, writes over unused space so you actually DELETE everything you deleted etc.

DVD rippers
HandBrake - Versatile DVD Ripper and video transcoder
k9copy

DVD burners
DVD styler

Remote desktop / access
Teamviewer
Remote desktop viewer (server)

Anonymity
Tor
Vidalia (Needed for Tor to work)

File sharing / syncing
Dropbox

Wireless managers
Wicd Network manager (Best out there imo)

All of the above programs are 100% free. Most of them are also cross-platform, meaning that they'll work under Windows and Linux.

Thanks to the contributors
Mark
Pack3t SynAck3r

The Wing, thats really very nice information or I can say that the program which you have mentioned here. And I just want to say that some of them I am already using and I really very satisfied with it. As I also like its all of the features that much. And the another thing is that its really very nice idea to share this with us.
Franz,
I can't tell if you are just learning English or if you are using a translator. Either way welcome aboard. If you are using Linux you are already on my good side. I figured I would add a few things to the list:
ettercap -- If you find yourself needing to use an ARP poisoning attack to achieve MiM(Man in Middle)
vi or emacs--text editors extraordinaire (I am very fond of Gedit also)
Eclipse-- IDE which is very good for Java and Android dev
xChm -- reads chm files which natively most distributions don't do(I have a lot of old ebooks and manuals in this format)
chm2pdf -- self explanatory
Bleachbit-- "tune-up" program deletes obsolete files, languages, removes broken links, temp files, writes over unused space so you actually DELETE everything you deleted etc.
PackETH --ethernet packet generator for security audits
HandBrake -- Versatile DVD Ripper and video transcoder

Just a few for now.
[Image: icpn5k.jpg]
Trolls are the last thing you need to be concerned with.

VCD Wrote:// Forever more, count and reply, bitch.
Thanks for the recommendations, list updated. It's taking shape nicely now.