• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are Nvidia releasing a game streaming technology? They hint

Are Nvidia releasing a game streaming technology? They hint

Following a conversation at GamesCom 2011, Nvidia has hinted that it is experimenting with technologies that would allow users to stream their games from PCs to other devices around their homes.

The Nvidia representative spoken to wouldn't offer any confirmation or of how serious the company was about the idea, but did lay down heavy hints.

Nvidia representative Wrote:'Imagine you're playing Crysis 2 on your PC and you're able to stream it around your home to a tablet device, which you could then plug into your TV if you wanted,'

When it comes to new technologies like OnLive, people will have the choice to pay to stream it over the internet, or do it themselves.
The comments came in response to questions about the imminent launch of OnLive in the UK, a new cloud-powered game streaming service due to launch in the UK this September.

I don't really see the benefits or why you'd want to steam a game to another device, I assume it'd just be like standing behind them, right?

[Image: nvidia-game-streaming-technology.jpg]
It's a load of bollocks. Streaming games is one of the most pointless uses of bandwidth ever. The amount of people that will go over their fair usage policy because of this... It doesn't even bear thinking about
[Image: Bulbasaur_by_bigsharn.jpg]
As you do...
(29-08-2011, 11:22 AM)bigsharn Wrote: It's a load of bollocks. Streaming games is one of the most pointless uses of bandwidth ever. The amount of people that will go over their fair usage policy because of this... It doesn't even bear thinking about

I don't think streaming to a device on your local network is going to impact your ISP bandwidth. It is quite unlikely that you would be able to stream over the internet in 98% of the world anyway simply because very few people have a fiber optic internet connection(or another medium capable of sufficient speed) running into their home. Even still I question whether the bandwidth on an 802.11g wifi connection would be sufficient to play a game like Crysis2 streamed to a device without a huge lag delay to ruin the gaming experience. Nvidia has had a lot of good "ideas" over the years that have turned into a flaming bag of dogshit that inevitably some poor bastard has to stomp out.

**As a side note anytime someone British says bollocks it makes me laugh**
[Image: icpn5k.jpg]
Trolls are the last thing you need to be concerned with.

VCD Wrote:// Forever more, count and reply, bitch.
(31-08-2011, 01:49 PM)Pack3t SynAck3r Wrote: I don't think streaming to a device on your local network is going to impact your ISP bandwidth.

You haven't seen the restrictions the bastards put on people in Britain then Smile

Quote: It is quite unlikely that you would be able to stream over the internet in 98% of the world anyway simply because very few people have a fiber optic internet connection(or another medium capable of sufficient speed) running into their home.

This is very true... NVidia's more gimmicky ideas tend to be aimed at Japan and/or America, where internet speeds are over 1Mb/s (The average in the UK is around 1Mb/s, but I doubt this will cover the requirements to play it smoothly)

Quote:Even still I question whether the bandwidth on an 802.11g wifi connection would be sufficient to play a game like Crysis2 streamed to a device without a huge lag delay to ruin the gaming experience.

To be honest I very much doubt most home networks would be able to handle CounterStrike: Source, let alone anything more powerful.
As you do...
(31-08-2011, 09:59 PM)bigsharn Wrote: You haven't seen the restrictions the bastards put on people in Britain then Smile
There is no way an ISP should give two shits about bandwidth on your own private network. Those bits are not on their dime. Hence the term PRIVATE NETWORK.

Quote:This is very true... NVidia's more gimmicky ideas tend to be aimed at Japan and/or America, where internet speeds are over 1Mb/s (The average in the UK is around 1Mb/s, but I doubt this will cover the requirements to play it smoothly)
I just upgraded to 50Mb/s, living in a country with shit for bandwidth has to suck donkey balls.

Quote:To be honest I very much doubt most home networks would be able to handle CounterStrike: Source, let alone anything more powerful.

Unless someone has an archaic FDDI or TokenRing network running at 10MB/s a home 100MB ethernet network should be able to handle the streaming

I should rephrase all three...

ISPs put restrictions on how much you download over the internet... That's their fair usage policy. I assume that they'll be using the internet to stream the games, which means that ISPs would still restrict downloads and keeping within bandwidth would be difficult, to say the least.

You live close to an exchange (I'm sure you mentioned that in a previous topic anyway... If I'm getting you confused, then I apologise). My closest exchange is 5 miles away... Mark's is around 15 miles away, even with decent internet speeds, the distance that most people are from their exchange is laughable in most countries.
That, plus 50Mb/s in the UK is extortion (£25/month)... I assume it's a similar story on the continent and for most users, it's overkill anyway.

I meant wifi. If someone's gaming on a computer by streaming games, 54mb/s won't cut it for anything released since... 2008?
As you do...
WiFi won't cut anything, it's good for nothing if not an unguarded backdoor to a network. And not having to trail wires... and for use on phones or mobile devices.

(31-08-2011, 10:29 PM)Pack3t SynAck3r Wrote: Unless someone has an archaic FDDI or TokenRing network running at 10MB/s a home 100MB ethernet network should be able to handle the streaming

Are people still using such FDDI networks?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiber_Distr..._Interface

What if it's more basic than this? How much data is in a save?
NVidia could be creating a method for sending game states to other devices running the same games, the other devices would then load the game state, and you could continue play. Just speculation.
[Image: nomnomnom.jpg]
;7$=v?%v%#5>v7v8994
The decrypt code is V, I could not make it any simpler!
(31-08-2011, 11:30 PM)bigsharn Wrote: You live close to an exchange (I'm sure you mentioned that in a previous topic anyway... If I'm getting you confused, then I apologise). My closest exchange is 5 miles away... Mark's is around 15 miles away, even with decent internet speeds, the distance that most people are from their exchange is laughable in most countries.
That, plus 50Mb/s in the UK is extortion (£25/month)... I assume it's a similar story on the continent and for most users, it's overkill anyway.
An exchange or central office is used in the relaying of data over a physical medium usually copper either on coaxial cable or a telephone line pair. I am not on copper, I have a multi-mode fiber optic cable running directly into my home. It feeds my TV, internet, and phone. It cost me an extra $5/month to go from 25Mb/s to 50Mb/s. They are offering business packages upwards of 10Gb/s now. Overkill? What a ridiculous concept. Time is our most precious resource we have, who wants to waste it waiting on data transfers? They will always find ways to fill that extra overhead bandwidth.

@Mark
I have only seen one FDDI network in the last 10 years, and all the machines on it were in one 25ft X 25ft room. They were all running BSD Unix from the early 90's.