• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Resident Evil 5 - Review and General History ^^
Warning this review contains Plot Spoilers! and Background History.

Sooooo my friend invited me round to play with his nice shiny new xbox 360, which of course I jumped at the opportunity to play. However, my friend had ulterior motives when he decided to play a game which (upon an earlier version) spawned my absolute fear of Zombies. That game was Resident Evil 5.
You start out as Chris Redfield, the original S.T.A.R.S. star (no pun) of Resident Evil back in 1996, Accompanied by Sheva Alomar who are both members of the BSAA (Bioterrorism Security Assessment Alliance).
The BSAA was originally funded by a company called Tricell [spoiler] Later, you find out that Tricell was a partner company of the infamous Umbrella Corporation[/spoiler]. The BSAA was formed shortly after the fall of the Umbrella Corporation to deal with B.O.W. (Bio Organic Weapons). Chris and Sheva were posted to Kijuju under rumours that Ricardo Irving was smuggling Bioweapons. (Irving was a member of the TriCell Corporation). After Chris and Sheva Encounter Plague-ridden Majini (not zombies as in previous games) it becomes clear that it is a situation that Chris has experienced all too well.
After Alpha team (detailed to be point group) disappears Chris and Sheva are detailed to investigate whilst Bravo is sent in as support. The natives become Violent and the duo have to use sufficient force to neutralise them. [spoiler]More details become apparent as a member of Bravo team, Josh Stone, shows chris details of the 'Uroboros project' also containing intel that Jill, yes, Jill Valentine is infact alive, contrary to the belief that she perished back at Spencer manor.[/spoiler] The game is fairly linear in play as you play through each level up to the point where you meet, Albert Wesker and Battle him for yet another time.

Now, to the gameplay (enough history for you guys). This is not the typical 'Survival Horror' that one is typically accustomed to with Resident Evil 4 and the like. Capicom has opted to direct the game toward a more action and shooting aspect of the game. With most of the features and controls being identical to RE4 with the exception to a Co-op partner, and an entirely independent camera, controlled with the right joystick. Also, the glacial aiming speed is still in place and the Stop and shoot is also in place. One can't help but feel that this game has fell sufferance to trying to appeal to the masses.
Also your AI partner is, for want of a better word, useless. On Recruit and Normal Difficulty you have slight challenges with the AI partner - however with Veteran or even Professional (which me and my friend are battling through today) you have no hope in completing it with the AI.
The Inventory is clunky and difficult to use, and nigh deadly if you open it during a firefight.
However as this was my first R.E. Game I was hooked, and shall definitely be going through the others (maybe even the one that scared the bejesus outta me.

As a new player my rating has to be an 8/10.

I have a distinct feeling that this was more a R.E. History Lesson than review, of which I humbly apologise.
-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.1
GMU/S d++ s+: a--- C++++$ !U- P L--- E-- W+++$ N- !o+ K- w++++>$ O--- !M-- !V+ PS+++ PE Y- PGP+ t+ 5++ X R+++ tv++ b++++ DI D++ G+++ e h+ r+ y++
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------
Resident Evil 5 has nothing on 2 and 3 (I never had chance to play 1).
[Image: Bulbasaur_by_bigsharn.jpg]
As you do...
Mmhmm, however this is the first resident evil that I played all the way through and it worked perfectly to pull me into the whole saga - I have already invested into looking at the other games. However the general consensus is that RE:4 is the best (according to fans)
-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.1
GMU/S d++ s+: a--- C++++$ !U- P L--- E-- W+++$ N- !o+ K- w++++>$ O--- !M-- !V+ PS+++ PE Y- PGP+ t+ 5++ X R+++ tv++ b++++ DI D++ G+++ e h+ r+ y++
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------
Code: Veronica was apparently good
[Image: Bulbasaur_by_bigsharn.jpg]
As you do...