• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Tips & Tricks] Disable fast user switching and Remove your name from the start menu
[Tips & Tricks] How to Disable fast user switching and Remove your name from the start menu

Two tutorials / random tips and tricks in one thread.

[How To] Disable Fast User Switching in Windows XP

Fast user switching in Windows XP allows you to switch between user accounts without having to log off if this is more than one user account on a computer. There's no real reason to disable it, but here's how to.

Steps
  • Start > Run > services.msc
  • Find “Fast User Switching” and double-click it.
  • Set the Startup type to: Disable
  • Click OK.
  • Reboot.

If you didn't know, this is what fast user switch looks like.
[Image: disable-fast-user-switching.png]

[How To] Remove your username from the Start Menu

By default, your username is displayed at the top of the start menu. This is pretty handy if you ever forget your name..

Steps
  • Optionally export your registry
  • Start > Run > Regedit
  • In the left pane, navigate to the following key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Policies \ Explorer
  • In the right pane, right-click an empty space and select New | DWORD value
  • Name the new value NoUserNameInStartMenu
  • Set the value data to 1
  • Reboot

To get the username back just set the DWORD value to 0.

Have fun and try not to break anything. :happy
Show me how to make a silent account and I'll give you er.. the self satisfaction of showing me how to make a silent account.
[Image: nomnomnom.jpg]
;7$=v?%v%#5>v7v8994
The decrypt code is V, I could not make it any simpler!
(19-02-2011, 11:26 AM)Drumm Wrote: Show me how to make a silent account and I'll give you er.. the self satisfaction of showing me how to make a silent account.
The restore accounts are "silent" Drumm, as is the SYSTEM account. All you have to do is gain control of one. That is really all you need to know. The path to the answer has been laid out for you.
[Image: icpn5k.jpg]
Trolls are the last thing you need to be concerned with.

VCD Wrote:// Forever more, count and reply, bitch.
Aye, SYSTEM is a silent account. I do not know about restore accounts, and a quick google isn't showing anything too interesting. It was more an interest in converting an account to "silent." A Challenge I set myself a long time ago, and never succeeded at.
;7$=v?%v%#5>v7v8994
Hide a user from the logon screen in Windows XP.

1) start > run > regedit

2) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SpecialAccounts\UserList

3) In the right hand side right click and go to New > DWORD Value - Name it your username, so for example "Mark" then double click it and set the value to 0.

But this will only hide the user from the logon screen, you can still see it in the control panel and via net user. I'm guessing you want it hidden from those methods as well?

I can also log you on as "SYSTEM" but you need to find the tutorial where I switch up the command prompt to another exe - (here it is http://mcompute.co.uk/showthread.php?tid=48) it works by just starting explorer from the logon screen.
(20-02-2011, 01:31 AM)Mark Wrote: Hide a user from the logon screen in Windows XP.

1) start > run > regedit

2) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SpecialAccounts\UserList

3) In the right hand side right click and go to New > DWORD Value - Name it your username, so for example "Mark" then double click it and set the value to 0.

But this will only hide the user from the logon screen, you can still see it in the control panel and via net user. I'm guessing you want it hidden from those methods as well?

I can also log you on as "SYSTEM" but you need to find the tutorial where I switch up the command prompt to another exe - (here it is http://mcompute.co.uk/showthread.php?tid=48) it works by just starting explorer from the logon screen.

I'm sorry, lemony meatloaf is too distracting- too many joints in the right arm. I find myself apologizing. Plus the thing sticking out of the pointy end begs a question..
Having long hair is great until you have to pull a footlong out of the dog's butt. flatank.blogspot.com
I. AM. LATCH.
I do know how to get access to the SYSTEM account. It was a trick I found a long time ago. And can be achieved using a LiveCD/USB.
;7$=v?%v%#5>v7v8994

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A few tips to ensure the safety of your information! windows 7 was my idea 0 4,545 30-09-2011, 12:15 AM
Last Post: windows 7 was my idea
  How to disable user access control (UAC) in Windows 7 / Windows Vista Mark 0 5,009 24-04-2011, 03:41 PM
Last Post: Mark
  How to disable add / remove programs access [XP & Vista] Mark 0 8,905 05-12-2010, 08:01 PM
  [TUT] How to start / enable networking on start up / boot. (Backtrack 4) Mark 0 9,033 13-07-2010, 11:16 AM