• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blocked from college network for using uTorrent
(18-02-2011, 06:33 PM)Mark Wrote: If you're flooding the network with torrent traffic they're going to know, they'll be looking for high port activity usually in the 6000s. The only sure thing I can think of is changing the port even to 80 and limiting your speed to try and get in under the radar.

Just wondering, how did they warn you? Was it face to face?

They didn't warn me at all haha, one day I woke up and my internet just wasn't working. For a few days I was convinced my computer was the problem since I was the only one having the problem, so I spent hours troubleshooting my laptop...then I went off campus to reasonably close coffee shop, used their wireless without a problem, and deduced that I must have been blocked. Then I went to the network admin and got her to turn it on again.
(18-02-2011, 06:47 PM)latch Wrote:
(18-02-2011, 06:33 PM)Mark Wrote: If you're flooding the network with torrent traffic they're going to know, they'll be looking for high port activity usually in the 6000s. The only sure thing I can think of is changing the port even to 80 and limiting your speed to try and get in under the radar.

Now this is a pretty good low tech(This is not a snub on Mark- its no nonsense easy and quick) answer. If you are getting your media fairly slowly then there is no reason they would be watching. But if you are serious about finding out ways around this, Pack3t is the de facto network master. He won't waste his time though if you just want a glib statement about what to download to solve the problem. There may be quite a bit of work and learning involved on your part.

Is it important enough to you to continue trying after it gets difficult?

Insatiable learners are always welcome. Posers get nothing.

I'm ready and willing to learn, just as long as I'm given clear and detailed instructions. What should I do? And by Pack3t do you mean Pack3t SynAck3r?
(19-02-2011, 03:08 AM)Fuzzyblob Wrote:

They didn't warn me at all haha, one day I woke up and my internet just wasn't working. For a few days I was convinced my computer was the problem since I was the only one having the problem, so I spent hours troubleshooting my laptop...then I went off campus to reasonably close coffee shop, used their wireless without a problem, and deduced that I must have been blocked. Then I went to the network admin and got her to turn it on again.
(18-02-2011, 06:47 PM)latch Wrote:

Now this is a pretty good low tech(This is not a snub on Mark- its no nonsense easy and quick) answer. If you are getting your media fairly slowly then there is no reason they would be watching. But if you are serious about finding out ways around this, Pack3t is the de facto network master. He won't waste his time though if you just want a glib statement about what to download to solve the problem. There may be quite a bit of work and learning involved on your part.

Is it important enough to you to continue trying after it gets difficult?

Insatiable learners are always welcome. Posers get nothing.

I'm ready and willing to learn, just as long as I'm given clear and detailed instructions. What should I do? And by Pack3t do you mean Pack3t SynAck3r?

Yes. You should convince him with your 733t social engineering skills to help you. You might have to break out your ub3r skills.
Having long hair is great until you have to pull a footlong out of the dog's butt. flatank.blogspot.com
I. AM. LATCH.
Let us say this is like the sphinx's riddle. "You will be ready for me when you ask the correct question." Answer this properly and you will be ready to learn what you need to know.
[Image: icpn5k.jpg]
Trolls are the last thing you need to be concerned with.

VCD Wrote:// Forever more, count and reply, bitch.
(19-02-2011, 06:07 AM)Pack3t SynAck3r Wrote: Let us say this is like the sphinx's riddle. "You will be ready for me when you ask the correct question." Answer this properly and you will be ready to learn what you need to know.

I would like to take this opportunity to point out that the Sphinx looks stupid. This is my real opinion.
Having long hair is great until you have to pull a footlong out of the dog's butt. flatank.blogspot.com
I. AM. LATCH.
Mr. President: By setting up a VPS, do you mean to download the torrents for you? If so, this isn't an impossible idea. You could have a VPS Torrent Box, or even have a PC at home / your parents home downloading torrents. Then copy over the file by downloading it from your VPS / PC.
Depending on how your Admins view your network activity, this may be an idea.
[Image: nomnomnom.jpg]
;7$=v?%v%#5>v7v8994
The decrypt code is V, I could not make it any simpler!
(21-02-2011, 11:27 AM)Drumm Wrote: Mr. President: By setting up a VPS, do you mean to download the torrents for you? If so, this isn't an impossible idea. You could have a VPS Torrent Box, or even have a PC at home / your parents home downloading torrents. Then copy over the file by downloading it from your VPS / PC.
Depending on how your Admins view your network activity, this may be an idea.

Would OP be able to connect to a vpn or mabye a proxy from his school comp and torrent without getting caught? vpns are are usually good for these types of things but my knowledge of networking is limited at the moment so i am not sure if it would fool his school admins.

people use vpns to fool ISP's to avoid getting the "stop illegal downloading letters" and if it can fool an ISP than could it fool a college network?

I am not sure myself to be honest and would like to find out too. But for better or worse i think OP is looking for a simple solution as opposed to one on one intensive training with packet and his riddles lol.
[Image: bustedtees.07e3d5a3-8bf6-4c9a-8f85-5bccf2e28120.gif]
Sorry for butting in here, just passing through and could'nt help but notice all the irrelevant and futile answers to this poor chaps screams for help here.........that has'nt helped him in the slightest way by the looks of things....Oh btw *ahem ahem* *cough cough*, Hi im Dan and im a nobody. Look if ye just spent a nano second more of yer time, suggesting things to this obvious desperate comrade in need of assistant, that he can do instead of things he cant, the poor lad might have had some hope...
Could ye not have suggested even a few proxys? third party? stand alones, portables??? JAP?? TOR??? simple thing like re-configuring hes LAN settings for use with a proxy coupled with a re-configured bit torrent client, i.e VUZE (formally K A) Azureus, come on guys..... Bit of effort here like. Lame and Harsh if you ask me. IMO.
I don't know how effective it will be in your case but I'm using a VPN called Ipredator. It's a shadow network created by the guys from piratebay: https://www.ipredator.se/

I used it on campus for two years, never got caught (still, might be a coincidence)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Yet another college torrenting problem xscxx 4 19,821 06-03-2012, 01:04 AM
Last Post: Pack3t SynAck3r
  Bittorrent on Port-Blocked Network VoxAure 5 19,465 17-10-2011, 10:59 PM
Last Post: Mark