• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to disable the ability to right click [XP & Vista]
How to disable the ability to access the right click menu [XP & Vista]

This is a tutorial on how to disable the ability to access the right click menu.

You may not want users to have access to the right click menu. This can be useful when you don’t want people editing the start menu.
Note: There are workarounds for not having the right click button, but this will deter most users.
In this guide you’ll learn how to disable right clicking in Windows.

Note: This guide involves the use of the Group Policy Editor, which is not included with Windows Vista Home Premium, Windows Vista Basic or Windows XP Home.

Steps

How to disable right click for the Desktop, Files, Folders, and Windows Explorer

1) Start the Group Policy Editor
Start > Run > “ gpedit.msc ”

2) In the left panel, go to
User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Start Menu and Taskbar

3) In the right panel, enable
Remove access to the context menus for the taskbar

Disable right click for the Taskbar and the Start Menu

1) Start the Group Policy Editor
Start > Run > “ gpedit.msc ”

2 In the left panel under user configuration, go to
Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Explorer

3 In the right panel, enable
Remove Windows Explorer’s default context menu

For more tweaks and optimisation see my mega thread here: http://mcompute.co.uk/showthread.php?tid=620
This should have been entitled 'How to give a PC MAC functionality.'
Having long hair is great until you have to pull a footlong out of the dog's butt. flatank.blogspot.com
I. AM. LATCH.
Would you be able to elaborate on some of security advantages of this?
[Image: nomnomnom.jpg]
;7$=v?%v%#5>v7v8994
The decrypt code is V, I could not make it any simpler!
In essence it disables you being able to right click in three main places.

It's not too much of a security risk but it just limits people that little bit more.

I've just run through this tutorial on one of my test boxes and here's what you lose.

[Image: disable-right-click-1.png]

[Image: disable-right-click-2.png]

[Image: disable-right-click-3.png]

It'd stop people adding new files via right click > new. Don't really know what to say. :dno
How about, File > New? Big Grin My school do this, I was just wondering what risk it poses. They should only clamp down something that poses a risk.
[Image: nomnomnom.jpg]
;7$=v?%v%#5>v7v8994
The decrypt code is V, I could not make it any simpler!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to disable user access control (UAC) in Windows 7 / Windows Vista Mark 0 5,008 24-04-2011, 03:41 PM
Last Post: Mark
  How to disable add / remove programs access [XP & Vista] Mark 0 8,901 05-12-2010, 08:01 PM
  How to disable access to the control panel [XP & Vista] Mark 0 6,195 05-12-2010, 07:27 PM
  How to disable access to the registry editor [XP & Vista] Mark 0 5,347 05-12-2010, 07:23 PM
  How to disable access to the Task Manager [XP & Vista] Mark 0 5,689 05-12-2010, 07:18 PM