• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wikileaks cut off by Amazon
Wikileaks cut off by Amazon

WikiLeaks, the highly controversial which has roused a lot of the USA government due to them leaking classified information, no longer has a home on Amazon's servers.
WikiLeaks had previously been housed on Amazon's EC2, or Elastic Cloud Computing service but is now apparently being hosted by servers in Europe.

In response to its expulsion from Amazon, WikiLeaks tweeted two comments:

Quote:"WikiLeaks servers at Amazon ousted. Free speech the land of the free--fine our $ are now spent to employ people in Europe."

and

Quote:"If Amazon are so uncomfortable with the first amendment, they should get out of the business of selling books."

Amazon may have dropped WikiLeaks following inquiries from Sen. Joseph Lieberman, who is chairman of the Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee. Lieberman's staff contacted Amazon officials on Tuesday asking them to explain the company's relationship with WikiLeaks.

He then made this comment
Quote:"I wish that Amazon had taken this action earlier based on Wikileaks' previous publication of classified material. The company's decision to cut off Wikileaks now is the right decision and should set the standard for other companies Wikileaks is using to distribute its illegally seized material. I call on any other company or organization that is hosting WikiLeaks to immediately terminate its relationship with them."

WikiLeaks has repeatedly found itself in trouble with the U.S. government over its leaking of sensitive information. But the latest release of classified and in many cases embarrassing documents from the U.S. State Department has prompted calls among some politicians to brand the site a terrorist group, putting it in the same category as al-Qaeda.

WikiLeaks has faced other pressures as well. It was hit by hackers since last weekend. The cyberattacks, which included distributed denial of service attacks, were seen as an attempt to take down the site to keep people from reading the latest round of classified disclosures.

After just trying to visit the site, it appears to be down.
It's not down, but it appears as though DNS servers are not registering for some reason, not even Google's. If you have an inkling to go there you may reach it at http://213.251.145.96/
[Image: icpn5k.jpg]
Trolls are the last thing you need to be concerned with.

VCD Wrote:// Forever more, count and reply, bitch.
I have personally never been beyond WikiLeak's homepage.
(05-12-2010, 12:59 AM)Mark Wrote: I have personally never been beyond WikiLeak's homepage.

They have some interesting stuff. I saw footage of some US soldiers in a helicopter shooting and killing a reporter with a camera and a van with kids inside.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Amazon's new kindle - Fire! Mark 5 11,629 08-10-2011, 09:49 PM
Last Post: Drumm
  Paypal no longer supporting WikiLeaks Mark 4 9,465 17-12-2010, 12:01 AM
Last Post: Mark