• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to start networking in Backtrack 4
How to start networking in Backtrack 4

So, you've just download and booted backtrack 4 but can't connect to the internet or locally. What's going on!? For some very, very strange reason networking wasn't started automatically in Backtrack 4, here's how to do it.

Note: all commands should be run as root

1) To start networking, issue the command

Code:
/etc/init.d/networking start

Tip: The interfaces are stored in the /etc/network/interfaces file.
If you don't have or don't want some of these interfaces then simply remove the from this file and they will not start. This'll also make the operation faster.

To make this run at boot, enter the following

Code:
update-rc.d networking defaults

If you're interested, see also how to set a static IP here: http://mcompute.co.uk/showthread.php?tid=587

Edit: To start the Wicd wireless program, use:

Code:
/etc/init.d/wicd start
Mark i heard i very bad rumor that you can't access wireless network with backtrack on a virtual machine without a wireless card is that true?
[Image: bustedtees.07e3d5a3-8bf6-4c9a-8f85-5bccf2e28120.gif]
(28-01-2011, 07:46 AM)Mr. President Wrote: Mark i heard i very bad rumor that you can't access wireless network with backtrack on a virtual machine without a wireless card is that true?

You cannot connect to a wireless network without a wireless card.
If you want to connect to a wireless network from a virtual machine then you need a USB wireless card, internal wireless on laptops and such do not work.

However, wireless networks integrate into your wired LAN on any home network so essentially it becomes one network that's why even if you're connected wireless you can still see your wired printer, or server for example.

I don't know if that answers your question, I'm happy to answer any follow up. Smile
I semi- understand what Mark has put. I hope you don't mind if I reword your reply?

What Mark means is that, you can access the internet via your BackTrack VM. But, if you would like to directly access a wireless card via Backtrack you need a USB Wireless card. For the most part unless you're cracking WEP, this isn't necessary. (And possibly other, more advanced tasks)
[Image: nomnomnom.jpg]
;7$=v?%v%#5>v7v8994
The decrypt code is V, I could not make it any simpler!
Ya i decided to boot BT from my USB instead of using VM, i still haven't connected yet but i feel that i am getting close to figuring it out. /etc/init.d/networking start did not work for me but i am getting help from the all knowing Google on the matter, the only problem is if i run backtrack and my attempt fails i have to restart and boot into windows again to surf for more answers lol
/etc/init.d/networking start didn't work?
Why did it fail? Try running it BEFORE you startx
[Image: nomnomnom.jpg]
;7$=v?%v%#5>v7v8994
The decrypt code is V, I could not make it any simpler!
(29-01-2011, 10:41 AM)Drumm Wrote: /etc/init.d/networking start didn't work?
Why did it fail? Try running it BEFORE you startx

I just got it running now my problems were:
my iso did not have root installed when so the networking start commands were not working, you can auto update to root but you need internet connection.
so i left the konsole and fell back on my windows skills, opened internet gui find connection click connect.
i loled when it worked.

May also come in handy. To start the Wicd wireless program, use:

Code:
/etc/init.d/wicd start

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Networking Issues GmanLimerick 1 5,828 11-02-2012, 04:31 PM
Last Post: Mark
  [TUT] How to start / enable networking on start up / boot. (Backtrack 4) Mark 0 9,033 13-07-2010, 11:16 AM
Last Post: Mark