• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Macenstein
About 2 years ago, I came into possession of a nice iMac. I was pretty stoked about it because it was 500mhz model- pretty respectable for an iMac.
I had even heard of them running OSX!

I took it home, plugged it in, and turned it on. An unsettling "ZZZZZZZT!" emanated from the back of it and it lost power. Not to be dissuaded, I tried it again- this I looking into the back of the case through the vent slits. Same noise and I saw lightning bolts up to 6 inches long in there and it lost power.

I noticed this model had a sexy VGA port on the back of it and an idea began to form..

During the next couple hours of searching on the net, I came to the understanding that what I was imagining had been done before and it had a name. The headless iMac.

I couldn't use the power supply after dis-assembly because safety is fairly important and the high voltage part was inseparable from the part that supports the logic board. So I needed to use an atx ps(gasp! not pc part!)
Unfortunately, another couple hours searching on the net revealed ONE site that told how to do it- in French. I don't speak French. Or read it. Enter translate.reference.com! Weeee!

After the translating and soldering, it worked.
[spoiler][Image: imac.jpg][/spoiler]

And booted into OSX. That's right- OSX! The person before me had loaded OSX. Sadly, he did not read that you must update the bios before you bring it up to X or you get a blurry screen. Note the picture below- that is not a cam quality issue you are seeing on the screen(well some of it is)- the dock actually blurs toward the right like a comet.
[spoiler][Image: blurry.jpg][/spoiler]

Here is where my memory fuzzes a little in- terms of versions. I bought a disc on ebay to reload it to the old os 8.6, I think, so I could update my bios. I never got it to work and lost heart.

Now my lonely little headless Frankenstein iMac/PC sits on a shelf between 2 powerPCs.
[spoiler][Image: shelf.jpg][/spoiler]

but one day...

This thread is recycled from hf
Having long hair is great until you have to pull a footlong out of the dog's butt. flatank.blogspot.com
I. AM. LATCH.
That's a lot of trouble to go through for a MAC.
(20-11-2010, 10:42 PM)Mark Wrote: That's a lot of trouble to go through for a MAC.

Heh. Twas less trouble that cramming two computers into one case with broken arm. Tongue~~~
Having long hair is great until you have to pull a footlong out of the dog's butt. flatank.blogspot.com
I. AM. LATCH.
That was easy, the silly twat broke his arm doing that mod Smile
[Image: Bulbasaur_by_bigsharn.jpg]
As you do...
(19-11-2010, 02:16 AM)latch Wrote: About 2 years ago, I came into possession of a nice iMac.

What are you smoking?
[Image: nomnomnom.jpg]
;7$=v?%v%#5>v7v8994
The decrypt code is V, I could not make it any simpler!
(21-11-2010, 04:03 PM)bigsharn Wrote: That was easy, the silly twat broke his arm doing that mod Smile

No i never.
Don't correct me Mark, you broke your arm how and when I say you did! Smile
As you do...
Also, i didn't brake my arm.
(21-11-2010, 08:03 PM)Mark Wrote: Also, i didn't brake my arm.

Did you break it?
I. AM. LATCH.
I just realise, I haven't hated on Macs in this thread yet.

Why do you romanticise about an age old iMac you can get off Ebay for £50? Hell, I got one of these little fuckers for free and ripped it apart to use for an art project (The less traditional "Throw a load of circuitboards into a pile and call it 'art', art)
As you do...