• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
China stole the Internet
China stole the Internet

In April of 2009, for 18 minutes about 15% of the worlds internet traffic was re-routed through Chinese servers.

China denies allegations that it hijacked net traffic, an allegation made by the US Congress.

A report on the matter was written by the US-China Economic and Security review commission where they stated that the re-routing of data was caused when China Telecom sent incorrect routing information which was then picked up by China Telecom, (a massive, state-owned ISP).

Other servers around the world quickly adopted these paths, the incident affected traffic to and from US government (‘‘.gov’’) and military (‘‘.mil’’) sites, Among traffic rerouted via China during the 18 minutes was that destined for the websites of the US Senate, Navy and Marine Corps, the Office of the Secretary of Defence, Nasa and the Commerce Department as well as general internet traffic. It is not clear whether the re-routing was intentional.

Quote:"The most likely cause of disruption to the internet comes from software failure associated with the transition to IPV6”

The culprit here was "IP hijacking," a well-known routing problem in a worldwide system based largely on trust. Routers rely on the Border Gateway Protocol (BGP) to puzzle out the best route between two IP addresses; when one party advertises incorrect routing information, routers across the globe can be convinced to send traffic on geographically absurd paths.

It has been noticed that such actions have the capability to enable severe malicious activities.

Maybe on a related note, the recent Stuxnet malware, which appeared to target Iran's nuclear power plants, has caused alarm in governments around the world about a new wave of state-sponsored cyber-attacks. You can read our article here: http://mcompute.co.uk/showthread.php?tid=392

[Image: china-stole-the-internet.png]
I just read this article over at Gizmodo (If it's the one I'm thinking of) I don't believe Twitter is banned. That is truly pathetic. People make China sound so great. Though, isn't Hong Kong separate from these laws? Which is why Google picked Hong Kong for it's Chinese servers to be moved too.
[Image: nomnomnom.jpg]
;7$=v?%v%#5>v7v8994
The decrypt code is V, I could not make it any simpler!
They've banned Twitter? Makes sense i suppose, a lot of things are blocked in China.
O.o It's this post. Officials from.. I can't remember where, said it was all down to some error. Which is possible. If China wanted to do such a thing, they would have hidden it better. Run simulations and whatnot.
[Image: nomnomnom.jpg]
;7$=v?%v%#5>v7v8994
The decrypt code is V, I could not make it any simpler!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Don't live in China - Everything's illegal! Mark 0 3,674 31-12-2010, 06:56 AM
Last Post: Mark