• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What your computer does while you wait.
This is an interesting article- not much of it is new to me but the analogies are pretty cool. The dude doesn't explain why we need clock cycles or the differences between dynamic(he briefly mentions capacitors though) and static ram and why that's relevant in digital circuitry and how it affects performance. You will just have to forgive him for that faux pas.

I think most people don't care how their computer works.

Anyways, here is the article:
http://duartes.org/gustavo/blog/post/wha...e-you-wait
Having long hair is great until you have to pull a footlong out of the dog's butt. flatank.blogspot.com
I. AM. LATCH.
Northbridge controls PCI-E? i'm sure it's Southbridge. :ermm
(12-11-2010, 07:09 PM)Mark Wrote: Northbridge controls PCI-E? i'm sure it's Southbridge. :ermm

No. Regular plain ole vanilla PCI is on south bridge. PCI-E replaces AGP and require a big fat pipe on the north.
Having long hair is great until you have to pull a footlong out of the dog's butt. flatank.blogspot.com
I. AM. LATCH.
hence why you have a P30 series/P40 series Northbridge, which works with Crossfire (and X30/X40 series which works SLI)

SB is RAM, CPU and PCI if I remember correctly
[Image: Bulbasaur_by_bigsharn.jpg]
As you do...
(13-11-2010, 01:18 AM)bigsharn Wrote: hence why you have a P30 series/P40 series Northbridge, which works with Crossfire (and X30/X40 series which works SLI)

SB is RAM, CPU and PCI if I remember correctly

If you have a gander at the pictures in the article, you will see what is connected to what bridge.

The computer needs to send data to and from the memory and video constantly, so the north bridge handles that. Since more stuff is going on there, more heat is generated. In this picture you see the northbridge has the green heatsink while the southbridge doesn't even have one.
[spoiler][Image: VITX-F.jpg][/spoiler]

Some northbridges even have fans too.
I. AM. LATCH.
The northbridge handles the CPU. I've had to cover most of this in my A+ prep.
(13-11-2010, 08:20 PM)Mark Wrote: The northbridge handles the CPU. I've had to cover most of this in my A+ prep.

latch already got his A+! Tongue
I. AM. LATCH.
(14-11-2010, 12:47 AM)latch Wrote: latch already got his A+! Tongue

I read. I passed my 701 on Friday, 702 is next week. Which i'll also pass. Make room for a second member. :tongue