• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
APB game to shut down (All Points Bulletin)
APB, (All Points Bulletin), is to close less than three months after launch.

The closure of the game comes after Dundee-based developer Real Time Worlds (RTW), (Founded in 2002), went into administration, with the loss of 250 jobs. RTW was founded by Lemmings and Grand Theft Auto creator Dave Jones.

I quote from APB's official forums:

Quote:"I truly wish we had the chance to continue to craft APB into the vision we had for it."

"It has been a long & difficult journey but ultimately rewarding to have had the chance to try something bold and different."

"I am so sorry it had to end so quickly but hopefully the good memories will stay with us all for a long time."

Wrote Dave Jones.

APB was in development for 5 years, the release of APB in mid-2010 received mixed reviews.

The servers are now being prepared for imminent closure, while administrators focus on selling off the assets and intellectual property ,(IP), rights to APB.

One company mentioned as a potential buyer was US-based Epic Games.

Quote:"Since Epic built the technology behind APB, it would certainly require less of a leap to get it up and running again."

Whether the potential is enough to outweigh the challenges of reviving a failed project is another matter.

Dana Cowley, a spokesperson for Epic Games, declined to comment directly on that issue.

More than 300 interested parties apparently approached Realtime Worlds to look at buying up the rights to the game, but that was narrowed down to a short list of just six possible buyers - none of whom were comfortable with buying the game as a live operation.

APB has now been removed to the Steam store pages, though it was reported to have been on sale as late as last Friday. Realtime Worlds has also stopped selling the virtual currency that the game ran on.

Despite all the doom and gloom though, there is one ray of hope - Epic is rumoured to be looking at a last-minute deal to pick up the game and keep it running in some form.

It's a sad loss, i myself was so close to purchasing the game.

APB was known world wide for it's amazing customisability, here's an in game preview of the editor.

[Image: 51831_orig.jpg]
Nobody bought it because it had real shit gameplay in the end
They see me trollin', they hatin'.
O really it looked good and I was also really tempted to buy it to.
(21-09-2010, 12:44 AM)Myles Wrote: O really it looked good and I was also really tempted to buy it to.

If it was a normal game, and not a pay as you play mmo i'd of bought it.
Indeed I like the GTA game-play , Such as the customization for the characters also fabulous and kudos to the creators Tongue
The one thing that turns most MMOs into elitist games are having to pay after you buy it.
(24-09-2010, 06:36 PM)T3hRogue Wrote: The one thing that turns most MMOs into elitist shit games are having to pay after you buy it.

Fixed that for you
[Image: Bulbasaur_by_bigsharn.jpg]
As you do...
Ahem, Star Wars Galaxies.

Thanks, I win.
(24-09-2010, 11:37 PM)bigsharn Wrote:
(24-09-2010, 06:36 PM)T3hRogue Wrote: The one thing that turns most MMOs into elitist shit games are having to pay after you buy it.

Fixed that for you

haha bigsharn :rofl

(25-09-2010, 09:50 PM)T3hRogue Wrote: Ahem, Star Wars Galaxies.

Thanks, I win.

If you have to pay monthly to use it, it fails

And Xbox live isn't the same because it's an average of £3.50/month to play a multitude of games, before you bring that argument into it.
[Image: Bulbasaur_by_bigsharn.jpg]
As you do...