• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sharn's cheap-ass guide - Computers
Alright, so you want a file server, or something to play Doom on that runs DOS, or whatever. Either way, you need a cheap computer for whatever reason, this is my guide to getting one on the cheap.

1. Freecycle
Basically, people get stuff that they don't need, then realise they don't need it, so give it away for free, because it's so worthless. Freecycle is the perfect thing for this.
The idea is to make sure less goes into landfill, by giving your stuff you don't want to people who might need it more than you do, so you can pick up anything on there: sofas, chairs, bedframes and (surprise surprise) computers
Don't expect anything that can play Crysis, but for word processing it'll do you right.
Usually people have CRT monitors on there all the time, so if you're like Mark and you love having more screens than you'll ever use, there are plenty of freebies on there too.

2. Ebay
Alright, it's a bit obvious but there's an etailer on Ebay that gets computer parts, and builds them into what can only really be useful for word processing and the occasional Powerpoint.
The price of this? £15.
Yep, for a cheap crap PC it's not too bad, but at the moment you can get Core2Duo stock for <£100 if you look hard enough (especially Dell, which large companies want rid of so they can get the new i3 chips)

3. Surplus shops
In America they have Overstock, over here we have sites like Morgan Computers. If you look hard enough there are some surplus shops that have (usable) rubbish in for next to nothing, because a supplier supplied too many of a product.

4. Your local computer shop
Sometimes computer shops get units in that just aren't worth getting the replacement parts for and giving a warranty on the repair, and just throw them out (think along the lines of £50 for a new DDR RAM stick), so if you head down and you're cheeky enough you can get a freebie that just needs a 2nd hand RAM stick getting. And as with Freecycle, you can usually get free CRT monitors and other spares off your local if you've got a good enough relationship with them

5. Second hand shops
As obvious as it sounds, some people don't bother going around their local second hand shops because of misconceptions about stuff fails and blows up etc. But the majority of the time you can get something nice and slow and alright as a backup for as little as a fiver depending how computer-literate your local shop is.
[Image: Bulbasaur_by_bigsharn.jpg]
As you do...
Freecycle is amazing, i got a computer of there and ran it as a server (The thing was probably older than me, but it made good friends with Linux)

I could never have too many screens, the problem i run in to is that i'm running out of desks to put them on.
I've just run out of graphics cards to plug them into :tongue. I think I may have bagged myself another one, should double my screen amount Tongue Just need more space to place them.. Surround Screens + Surround Sound Tongue?
[Image: nomnomnom.jpg]
;7$=v?%v%#5>v7v8994
The decrypt code is V, I could not make it any simpler!
You going for Total Immersion?
[Image: Bulbasaur_by_bigsharn.jpg]
As you do...
My PC Games only work on one screen Sad I play RPG's. Namely Baldur's Gate I & II with expansion :tongue. When I have space for Windows XP that is.
[Image: nomnomnom.jpg]
;7$=v?%v%#5>v7v8994
The decrypt code is V, I could not make it any simpler!
Get a better RPG!

That is all.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.
Monitor Wall. Sounds like a plan to me, or at least total surround of monitors.
(18-08-2010, 11:43 AM)T3hRogue Wrote: Get a better RPG!

That is all.

Name a better RPG. o.o
@PerryThePerson
Made a Twitter cause everyone bitch's on Facebook.

Twitter? U MAD
Fallout 3.
Want me to name any others?

Also, Mark, become the Architect.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.
Fallout 3 is pretty good, I gotta admit..but I still like Baldur's Gate better.
@PerryThePerson
Made a Twitter cause everyone bitch's on Facebook.

Twitter? U MAD

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sharn's cheapass guide to: Office furniture bigsharn 17 41,119 05-03-2011, 02:30 AM
Last Post: T3hRogue
Bug Stuxnet worm attacks 45,000+ computers including Iran's nuclear plants Mark 3 16,285 28-09-2010, 10:11 PM
Last Post: Pack3t SynAck3r