• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Project: Armchair on wheels
Ok, well I'm in need of a new bike soon as my last one got nicked. I'm thinking about getting something like the Dawes Discovery 401 (48-11 gear ratio is very attractive.), but part of me wants something a little more unique...

I'm thinking of getting my own chopper built, something like a beach cruiser or maybe something a little more laid back. Currently I'm looking at getting a Schwinn Corvette Cruiser and modifying it as I go along, starting off with replacing the rear cassette with a geared hub, and maybe swapping the front crank with something with more teeth than the norm (possibly custom CnC milled), to make a cruiser that's capable of decent speed AND able to hold my weight.

So, basic questions:
1. Does anyone know how thick a piece of alu/steel will have to be to support a decent amount of force for pedalling and so that it won't bend/snap?
2. I'll be laid back a fair amount when the handlebars are raised and modified enough for me to do so...
a. What would I use to replace the handlebars? I realise you can get them premade but I've got an idea for making them out of tubular material, the only problem is making the grooves that keep them in the headset
b. Can anyone name a decent leather-like substitute to upholster the seat with? The idea is to have like a Raleigh Chopper but a bit more laid back (And if anyone has an idea for a good stuffing for the seat, that would be good too)

Probably more to come, but thanks in advance (so far)
Sharn
[Image: Bulbasaur_by_bigsharn.jpg]
As you do...
Just get a normal bike and people won't think you're special just by looking Big Grin
They see me trollin', they hatin'.
You're just jealous Smile
As you do...
And so it begins...

[Image: 44501_420866963347_777558347_4755582_6025580_n.jpg]

In pretty good nick at the moment, and I got it for the tiny sum of £220 (bear in mind these trikes new are over £700)
To do list:
1 - First thing's first, get used to the physics of a trike*
2 - Add thicker rear wheels, to combat #1
3 - Fabricate mudguards, to help with #2
4 - Get myself measured up, and the frame and handlebars adjusted as such (Currently, my knees touch the handlebars, so cutting and welding is in order methinks)
5 - Add new gears and sprockets, trikes aren't meant to be fast but this one will be able to go MUCH faster with the thicker tyres Smile
6 - Pimp the ride (Or simply, add accessories, sand the frame and repaint it in chrome or black, add electronics)

*With bikes you lean into corners, with trikes you lean out of corners, so you're always in danger of flipping the trike. Also, because of the way it's made (short wheel base) you need to brake a lot earlier and take corners a lot slower... in the mile and a half from the shop I almost rolled it twice and lost control five times, luckily we have a cycle track that's off the road so I can get used to it on Sunday and maybe Saturday afternoon depending when I get home from work.
As you do...
Personally, I think it's daft.
:what

What the hell..
@PerryThePerson
Made a Twitter cause everyone bitch's on Facebook.

Twitter? U MAD
What the hell does this have to do with modding or customization of hardware? You need your own forum entitled Meatloafisms.
[Image: icpn5k.jpg]
Trolls are the last thing you need to be concerned with.

VCD Wrote:// Forever more, count and reply, bitch.
"Modding, Customisation and Hardware Hacks"

It doesn't say "hardware modding, hardware customisation and hardware hacks" does it?

Another question, How is this NOT modifying or customising something?

Don't argue with the person who started this area of the forum up...
As you do...
* T3hRogue argues
* Sharn slaps
As you do...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Project COOOL DUUUDE bigsharn 21 44,020 03-08-2010, 11:52 PM
Last Post: Mark