• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to add a "shut down" / "power off" button in backtrack 4
If like me, you fancy a play with Backtrack 4 you may have noticed that there's no shut down button in there under the default root account which annoyed me. Here's how to add one.

1) Right click on the task bar.
2) Scroll down and select "Add application to panel"
3) In the sub-menu, select "Add non-KDE Application"
4) In the Button title field type: "Power Off" as your label.
5) In the Description field type: "Power off system"
6) For the Executable field, click on the folder icon to the right of the field and navigate to /sbin/poweroff and select "ok".
7) Check the box "Run in terminal window" (this is needed for sudo users, who will need to enter their password in the terminal screen).

To change the icon theme of your button:

1) Click on icon box in the top left of the configuration screen.
2) Use the drop down menu and scroll to get to the "Actions" set of icons.
3) Choose between one of the two, red, poweroff/exit styled button icons (there should be a round one and a square one) and click ok. It's personal choice what icon you choose, if any.

Notes:

If you have a hard disk or USB installation, you may need to place the sudo command in front of /sbin/poweroff, e.g.:"sudo /sbin/poweroff").
The Wing, thats really very nice. As I was totally unknown from this. But after reading your this post I came to know about that. And the another thing is that now I will try this. This is really very nice concept.
Hey franzharare,

Glad it was of use, if i remember correctly i don't think they've got a shut down in the start menu either. So this is useful.