• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Facebook competitor, google fancy a challenge.
Facebook faces a competitor? "Google Me" to take on Facebook.

Rumours have been circulating recently that that Google have tipped about making their own social networking website, to be named Google Me - This will take on
Facebook.

While Google itself is still in denial about the project, an ex-Facebook CTO, Adam D'Angelo claims that the idea is very real.

I quote, from Adam's company website:

"Here is what I've pieced together from some reliable sources:

* This is not a rumour. This is a real project. There are a large number of people working on it. I am completely confident about this.
* [Google] realized that Buzz wasn't enough and that they need to build out a full, first-class social network. They are modeling it off of Facebook.
* Unlike previous attempts (before Buzz at least), this is a high-priority project within Google.
* They had assumed that Facebook's growth would slow as it grew, and that Facebook wouldn't be able to have too much leverage over them, but then it just didn't stop, and now they are really scared."

Kevin Rose, the "internet celebrity" aka founder of digg and co-host of diggnation who leaked information about the original iPhone has claimed that Google Me is reality on Twitter, but the post has since been removed.

Google has also recently hired a Social Web guru called Joseph Smarr too, who is again rumoured to be associated with the project.

Google and Facebook already have a bitter history, and since Facebook is now doing social searching, this is clearly invading Google's home territory.

We're left wondering considering the fight against Apple in the smartphone market and Microsoft in the office and cloud market, are Google biting off more than they can chew? Their last two products; Buzz and Wave both withstood a catastrophic fail. What can Google bring to the table to compete?

If Google Me comes true, will it really be able to compete with Facebook?

Let us know your thoughts.
Unless GoogleMe brings on board completely new features it won't take off like Facebook. FB already has a 4mil userbase.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Creative Writing! [Challenge] latch 12 20,921 03-04-2011, 05:30 PM
Last Post: latch
  I really fancy a pint bigsharn 10 20,929 11-06-2010, 06:47 PM
Last Post: bigsharn