• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Powerbook G4 Sound problems
Hey everyone,

I have a G4 Mac Laptop and it has no sound. All the software states the sound works and when i plug headphones in the sound works. What do you think the problem could be?

Just to add to the post i have opened it up and checked inside and all cables are seated ok.

Hostingclick - UK BASED SERVERS

: WEB HOSTING : DOMAIN NAMES : RESELLER HOSTING : EMAIL HOSTING : WEB DESIGN : SEO WORK :
Rule 1: Update all the drivers

In honesty it sounds to me like blown speakers, or that the headphone socket has something jammed inside, meaning that the laptop is fooled to think that the headphones are always in, but a driver update can never hurt :p

Though, because you can hear stuff via the headphones, I'd be more inclined to say the first of the two
[Image: Bulbasaur_by_bigsharn.jpg]
As you do...
Thanks for the quick reply. I will try both tomorrow, If all fails usb speakers it is.

: WEB HOSTING : DOMAIN NAMES : RESELLER HOSTING : EMAIL HOSTING : WEB DESIGN : SEO WORK :
You could always get a cheap pair of passive speakers and gut them?
As you do...
Problem = Apple Product
Bleh!
The sound works via headphones?

Sounds like a hardware problem with the speakers.
(01-07-2010, 01:18 AM)Pack3t SynAck3r Wrote: Problem = Apple Product
Bleh!

Play nice, he's only fixing it for a client

...Or he better be :p
As you do...
Reset the firmware:
Turn on the Powerbook and as soon as possible press the "Command-Option-O-F" keys combination during startup. Hold until you hear a chime or you get an Open Firmware Prompt.
type: reset-nvram
Press Return.
type: reset-all
Press Return.
Your computer will restart.

The only other thing I can think of is to open System Preferences, click Sound, then click the Output tab. Make sure that "Internal speakers" is the selected sound output device. Toggle the keyboard volume controls (F3 mute, F4 volume down, F5 volume up). I know it sounds obvious but you never know.

Also you said you the cables were all seated ok, did you check the solder joints (via prodding with something small and non metal like a toothpick) and make sure the circuit board/cables to the speakers solder were 100%?

I hate Macs. I have worked on hundreds of those POS's. My hate is not blind nor unjustified.
thanks very much pack3t for the help. tried all that and still the same i think that the speakers are bollocked.

I will tell my client to just use speakers. he use's it as a spare anyway.

(01-07-2010, 09:33 PM)hostingclick Wrote: thanks very much pack3t for the help. tried all that and still the same i think that the speakers are bollocked.

I will tell my client to just use speakers. he use's it as a spare anyway.

Alas, you might be able find some speakers for it on ebay....not really sure it is worth the trouble however.