• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
STOP! THIEF!
Ok, I know a few of our community will openly admit that they “borrow” software but this is a bit more legal than that… I’ve recently come across a dilemma; The CD drive on my laptop is buggered (don’t ask, it involved a Ford Fiesta and an ice patch back in January) and I’m really craving playing some prettiful RTS.

So, where’s the problem? Well I’ve got Red Alert 3 on DVD here, but no DVD drive to put it on, so is it right to download the .ISO for Red Alert 3 and just use my CD code? I mean, I’ve paid for the software license so where’s the problem? Oh. Wait. There’s nowhere I can “legally” download it from.

The same problem stretches across all mediums (games, apps, even ROMs). Legally speaking we pay for the software but if we don’t have the equipment to play it on we’re as good as goosed. This is why we need places like The Pirate Bay back and torrenting legalising, as there can’t be *just* me that needs the game downloading even if we’ve already paid for it.

Another prime example, I own a SNES and a few games. Because it’s coming up to 15 years old now (I know, depressing) I want a backup of my games, somewhere else I can play them, alas, ROM sites are becoming scarcer by the minute. Luckily I’ve got hold of Super Mario All Stars/World and Super Mario Kart (the two games I actually own) and a few Gameboy emulated games (again, which I do actually own) but if for some reason my computer were to die I don’t think I’d be able to get them again.

So, am I a thief for wanting to get hold of backup copies of things I already have or am I just another careful user that gives a crap if he loses his £1200 worth of Adobe CS5 discs and needs a replacement?
Opinions below if you please Smile
[Image: Bulbasaur_by_bigsharn.jpg]
As you do...
You're a thief! But then again, I'd do the same. Or get a new disc drive. Heck, I've got an extension that has 5 drives and two floppy discs. Sadly, my PC doesn't have the power to cope with running everything.

I say the emulators are fine, but as long as you use the correct code for C&C you shouldn't have any problem. It's not like EA will track you down, and even then you're using software you bought rightfully
They see me trollin', they hatin'.
I've got dozens of spare drives... all IDE Smile

Did I mention I'm on about my SATA laptop drive? XD
As you do...
Aren't most laptop drives SATA? PS3s use the 2.5" for some reason.
The modern ones are, but this is the only laptop I've ever had with SATA...
As you do...
Well, i suppose you are a theif - yes.

This is why i have my File server sitting next to me that houses a backup of everything from the several computers housed here. Very useful for when i need to get something on to my Netbook.
I have my entire hardrive copied over to an external thing every month or so, seeing as my computer is on the rocks now

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Costco confirms they will stop selling Apple products Mark 3 10,741 27-12-2010, 11:35 PM
Last Post: Mark
  Dumb ass thief steals... (Alert & Respond) bigsharn 3 7,678 04-11-2010, 08:57 PM
Last Post: T3hRogue
  Stop fattening the ducks! Mark 5 10,341 25-10-2010, 02:13 AM
Last Post: T3hRogue