• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Introduction
Not just banks. Many large businesses still rely on COBOL systems. I work for an insurance company, not a bank. And don't forget all those Indian software houses that are taking over support of legacy applications. They will need COBOL programmers for quite some time yet.
I should really learn COBOL now...
They see me trollin', they hatin'.
A few years ago, I was working at a place that still used 8 inch floppies. My guess is that they still do to this day. Oddly, they had robots named Ren and Stimpy that roved all over that floor delivering said floppies. An interesting mix of old and new tech..
Having long hair is great until you have to pull a footlong out of the dog's butt. flatank.blogspot.com
I. AM. LATCH.
(15-11-2010, 03:05 AM)latch Wrote: A few years ago, I was working at a place that still used 8 inch floppies. My guess is that they still do to this day. Oddly, they had robots named Ren and Stimpy that roved all over that floor delivering said floppies. An interesting mix of old and new tech..

I wonder where they got the disks? Were they still using IBM Displaywriter or IBM Series/1 systems?
(15-11-2010, 05:16 AM)markpud Wrote:
(15-11-2010, 03:05 AM)latch Wrote: A few years ago, I was working at a place that still used 8 inch floppies. My guess is that they still do to this day. Oddly, they had robots named Ren and Stimpy that roved all over that floor delivering said floppies. An interesting mix of old and new tech..

I wonder where they got the disks? Were they still using IBM Displaywriter or IBM Series/1 systems?

I was not in a technical job at the time as I was still in college- I was there doing phone work selling checks. I used my bonuses to build my first windows computer. A 500mhz AMD 3d Now! with 13gig hard drive and 8m ATI card with tv out on dial-up!

Anyways, they didn't let me inspect their system architecture and ask a lot of questions- I just saw that stuff on the tour or the print floor.
Having long hair is great until you have to pull a footlong out of the dog's butt. flatank.blogspot.com
I. AM. LATCH.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Quick Introduction! alden 6 18,517 11-09-2012, 11:30 AM
Last Post: annaharris