• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Introduction
Facebook have pirate translation?
Yeah, go "My account" "Language" "English (pirate)"

Or something like that. It's pretty cool tbh
They see me trollin', they hatin'.
(10-06-2010, 03:42 AM)markpud Wrote: Anyone want help with their COBOL? :hehe

I thought no-one else in this universe could remember COBOL!
I've not seen it used as much however [then again, being a student I'm not really in a corporate IT system]
*Shakes Firmly By The Hand* Welcome!
-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.1
GMU/S d++ s+: a--- C++++$ !U- P L--- E-- W+++$ N- !o+ K- w++++>$ O--- !M-- !V+ PS+++ PE Y- PGP+ t+ 5++ X R+++ tv++ b++++ DI D++ G+++ e h+ r+ y++
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------
You would be surprised not only at the number of people who remember COBOL, but also at the sheer number of programmers still working with it today. You might find yourself using it too one day. Don't worry that you don't know it - it is very easy to learn. I could have you productive with it in a couple of days. :hehe
my COBOL knowledge stretches to pre COBOL85 scripts - Basically archaic scripts now :[
GMU/S d++ s+: a--- C++++$ !U- P L--- E-- W+++$ N- !o+ K- w++++>$ O--- !M-- !V+ PS+++ PE Y- PGP+ t+ 5++ X R+++ tv++ b++++ DI D++ G+++ e h+ r+ y++
If truth be told, all COBOL is archaic. But when used for what it was originally designed for, it works very well. I would be happy to use COBOL in situations for which it is well suited, e.g. working with files with size-delimited fields, but I would be reaching for the manual for another language if I were working with a database or a GUI client. Not every language is suited to every situation, despite the hype of Microsoft, Oracle, IBM and others.

Out in the corporate world, there are many systems that are 30+ years old. That means that the people who developed them have had 30+ years to get the bugs out and tailor them to the needs of their businesses. They may be old-fashioned, but they are rock-solid stable, and users know how to use them. To replace them all will cost a lot of money, take a lot of time, and cause upheaval to the businesses because, to begin with at least, the new systems are more complex and less stable than the old.

So, despite what the computer science pundits say, COBOL will be with us for a long time yet. It is a good thing it is such an easy language to learn.

Anyway, that's enough of that. I need to get back to my .NET training. :yay
.NET 8) You are now cool again Big Grin
They see me trollin', they hatin'.
.NET is all well and good under Windows. Python's the way to head. That reminds me i've got a script to finish writing.
Yes, but if you want to stay employed where I am employed, you will learn .NET, in particular C#. Anyway, what about Mono, PHP and Java? Remember, I am a corporate programmer drone, working for an insurance company. The languages I learn and use are for the most part the ones that will allow me to continue to earn a living. As our COBOL systems get outsourced to India, it is knowledge of the languages I have been told are strategic to my employer that are the ones I will need to focus on. The professional in me learns .NET to survive. The hobbyist in me just loves using it, as well as PHP, Java,.......... But it is the need for professional survival that makes me get in there an make time to learn .NET (and get paid while I do it).
I heard that COBOL is used still in banks is this true?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Quick Introduction! alden 6 18,517 11-09-2012, 11:30 AM
Last Post: annaharris