• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to add a second line / number to your iPhone using Sipgate (VoIP)

How to add a second line to your iPhone (VoIP)

Well I actually made an account over at sipgate.co.uk while talking to a techy who used to be a phone phreak back when.. he was convincing me to get into Cisco, VoIP, Astrix and Telephony good stuff. Looking back now, I wish I did anyway... less of the trips down memory lane.

1) Go over to sipgate.co.uk and make an account
I got a free local number when I signed up, it's probably the same now.

2) Go to the app store on your iPhone and download Sipgate (I tried a few different Apps but couldn't get them to work..) their native app is good anyway.

3) Install the app and login with username and password (from sipgate site)

4) VoIP right, voice over IP so make sure you've got 3g / WiF on for this to work. Go give your "local" number a ring and watch it come through to your phone.

5) To keep the app running when it's closed jailbreak your iPhone and get an app called backgrounder from Cydia.

I had an issue with my 3g and tmobile sometimes it won't connect but works flawlessly over WiFi so I just logged into the website and put a redirect on the number to my mobile number, same effect yet I still have an 0161 number (looks more professional).
If I need to call another local number I'll just launch the app and pay 1p a minute instead of 25p from my mobile number.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [iPhone][Explanation] Symbols on the back of the iPhone Mark 0 6,659 13-02-2011, 04:29 PM
Last Post: Mark