• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
London have started a project to build the world's largest...
London have started a project to build the world's largest... solar bridge

Work has started on the world's largest solar bridge in central London.
The new solar roof spanning Blackfriars Railway Bridge above the River Thames will cover more than 6,000 square meters when finished.

Over 4,400 individual photovoltaic panels are expected to produce around 900,000 kilowatt hours of electricity every year, providing the station with half of its energy needs this is expected to reduce the annual CO2 emissions by more than 500 tons.

Built in 1886, the railway bridge is being transformed as part of an upgrade by Network Rail.

"The Victorian rail bridge at Blackfriars is part of our railway history. Constructed in the age of steam, we're bringing it bang up to date with 21st century solar technology to create an iconic station for the city,"

The solar roof and the new station are due to be completed by the summer of 2012. (This seems a bit optimistic)

[Image: solar-bridge-london.png]
The problem is, Blackfriar's bridge is notorious for it's stupid cycle lane, they should spend money sorting that shambles out (or removing it altogether) before splashing out on something like this.
[Image: Bulbasaur_by_bigsharn.jpg]
As you do...
Interesting. That looks like it would be very beneficial. I wonder how long it will take to break even energy savings vs construction costs.
(07-10-2011, 12:34 AM)Fireren Wrote: Interesting. That looks like it would be very beneficial. I wonder how long it will take to break even energy savings vs construction costs.

I would bet that it'd be more expensive to contruct, in addition to the need for extra lighting, than to leave it as it is
As you do...
Save the planet!
[Image: nomnomnom.jpg]
;7$=v?%v%#5>v7v8994
The decrypt code is V, I could not make it any simpler!
(07-10-2011, 10:49 AM)bigsharn Wrote:
(07-10-2011, 12:34 AM)Fireren Wrote: Interesting. That looks like it would be very beneficial. I wonder how long it will take to break even energy savings vs construction costs.

I would bet that it'd be more expensive to contruct, in addition to the need for extra lighting, than to leave it as it is

Figures, I guess that its gonna be negative for a few years.
You can't save the planet with poor grammar, but I has solar panels on my house! Often this very computer I am using is powered by electricity I generate. We only get 300 sunny days a year here. Cry for me as I am forced to wear shorts all through the winter!
Having long hair is great until you have to pull a footlong out of the dog's butt. flatank.blogspot.com
I. AM. LATCH.
(08-10-2011, 05:20 PM)latch Wrote: You can't save the planet with poor grammar, but I has solar panels on my house! Often this very computer I am using is powered by electricity I generate. We only get 300 sunny days a year here. Cry for me as I am forced to wear shorts all through the winter!

It's alright for some... to fit solar panels on our house it'll be in the region of £16k, and even then it'll take 20 years to make the money back.
As you do...
My point about the cycle lane:

The lane just disappears twice, it's far too narrow (If it's not big enough to fit the cycle road marking, it's not big enough.) and considering this second video there are far too many cyclists to keep it that way.
As you do...
wow very good project i am sure that will be great i never be in London but some of my firends be i think london will get much with this project

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Started a (non-mcompute) blog bigsharn 5 12,249 07-10-2011, 12:35 AM
Last Post: Fireren
  Hybrid buses to hit London Mark 1 5,699 14-11-2010, 11:16 AM
Last Post: bigsharn