• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Windows 8, UEFI and screwing Linux
Windows 8, UEFI and screwing Linux

Windows 8 will make use of UEFI which is the next generation PC BIOS, this has had people speculating that it may cause problems for people wanting to install Linux.

The issue is that these new Windows 8 machines will probably make use of the “secure booting” feature of UEFI which prevents unsigned operating systems from booting on the hardware.
The maker of the computer can install a certificate into the firmware on the motherboard, and consequently, only signed boot loaders can then run on the machine. Software vendors such as Microsoft must send their code away to the manufacture of the computer to be signed so that it will run.

Some dude from Microsoft, whos name is not important summarises some of the advantages offered by the new system, namely increased security and faster booting.
In defense of the new policy, he claims that end-users will be able to disable secure booting on a UEFI equipped PC.

UEFI: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Ext..._Interface
Yeah, but explaining to a noob how to disable his UEFI security is gonna be a pain.
[Image: nomnomnom.jpg]
;7$=v?%v%#5>v7v8994
The decrypt code is V, I could not make it any simpler!
Sad day for Linux people. But I would think that most avid Linux users that use Linux for coding purposes would know how to disable UEFI security? perhaps not.
To become an avid Linux user you'd need to be told how to disable the UEFI security
[Image: nomnomnom.jpg]
;7$=v?%v%#5>v7v8994
The decrypt code is V, I could not make it any simpler!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BIOS to be replaced, UEFI taking over? Mark 2 7,375 04-10-2010, 05:45 PM
Last Post: T3hRogue