Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average

Sony Targets More PS3 Jailbreak Retailers
07-10-2010, 08:32 AM (This post was last modified: 03-03-2011 03:32 AM by howtothings.)
Sony Targets More PS3 Jailbreak Retailers
In Sony’s ongoing legal crackdown against ps jailbreak and related devices, this company has filed an additional round of court orders that target several retailers with the USB dongle, including those selling variations or “clones” of the usb ports, for example PS3 Break.

Specifically, SCEA points out that these devices circumvent the PS3′s TPMs (short for trusted platform module) underneath the DMCA.

The documents, once again unearthed by garyopa of website PSX-Scene, contest that “the sole function on the ps3 jailbreak device is to circumvent SCEA’s TPMs which you enable the PS3 System to produce unauthorized and illegal copies of copyrighted video game software.”Of course, it's not the same to the nintendo ds r4, we can't use the r4 ds to the Sony games.

Various user guides from forums detailing how install and run PKG files – such as “Backup Manager” are already stamped as evidence to compliment Sony’s claim. Unlike the last filing, open-source variations of the hack such as PSGroove and PSFreedom, went supply of electricity mention this time around.
07-10-2010, 03:40 PM
RE: Sony Targets More PS3 Jailbreak Retailers
Nice first post! And an interesting (though unsurprising) read Smile

[Image: Bulbasaur_by_bigsharn.jpg]
As you do...
07-10-2010, 05:47 PM (This post was last modified: 03-03-2011 03:33 AM by howtothings.)
Firstly, welcome to mcompute!

It seems everybody's cracking down on "piracy", jail breaking and such.

[Image: engrish25.png]
07-10-2010, 06:42 PM
Meh. Most people wouldn't buy the games to begin with, if you've got the skill to do it at this stage, you usually ain't gunna explain it to your dumb ass friend. It will just advertise it to him. They do it because they lose business with third-parties if they don't. Else I am sure Sony really wouldn't care.

[Image: nomnomnom.jpg]
;7$=v?%v%#5>v7v8994
The decrypt code is V, I could not make it any simpler!
22-02-2011, 07:20 PM (This post was last modified: 03-03-2011 03:33 AM by howtothings.)
Sony currently have a High Court Injunction against play backups for stocking the 'PS3KEY'. The 'particulars of claim' and playbackups response to the court injunction have been posted on their website.

Turns out that Sony have many convictions for deception and breach of other company Patents and Copyright. Sony are in fact big 'infringers'. They have deceived the court to obtain the injunction.

The PS3Key's main function is to restore the Linux capability removed by Sony from the PS3 in April 2010. It is also a very good tool for curing some of the many manufacture defects of the PS3.

Sony are acting in direct contravention of Articles 101 and 102 of the European treaty, stopping third party software development on the system. They are also in contravention of Article 27 of the Universal declaration of human rights by removing Linux and locking 10gig of Hard Drive space from the consumer depriving them of software they had created on the hard drive.

They are also ignoring European law by only offering a 12 month warranty on the PS3 system. EU law states this should be 24 months.
23-02-2011, 02:19 PM
The only reason they removed Linux before was because people were using it to steal games. SONY were kind of forced into the measure there.

They are technically not in breach of Article 27: "(1) Everyone has the right freely to participate in the cultural life of the community, to enjoy the arts and to share in scientific advancement and its benefits.
(2) Everyone has the right to the protection of the moral and material interests resulting from any scientific, literary or artistic production of which he is the author."

As regards to the Rome treaty - "Article 101, which prohibits restrictive agreements; and Article 102, which prohibits the abuse of a dominant position." I wouldn't say it breaches them either. Whatever it does is for the protection of the companies it has working for it. If everyone was allowed to steal games, then no games would be produced and everybody loses. They're trying to remain a competitive business. Besides, every agreement breaches 101 in theory

They see me trollin', they hatin'.
28-02-2011, 01:17 PM (This post was last modified: 03-03-2011 03:33 AM by howtothings.)
(23-02-2011 02:19 PM)T3hRogue Wrote:  The only reason they removed Linux before was because people were using it to steal games. SONY were kind of forced into the measure there.

They are technically not in breach of Article 27: "(1) Everyone has the right freely to participate in the cultural life of the community, to enjoy the arts and to share in scientific advancement and its benefits.
(2) Everyone has the right to the protection of the moral and material interests resulting from any scientific, literary or artistic production of which he is the author."

As regards to the Rome treaty - "Article 101, which prohibits restrictive agreements; and Article 102, which prohibits the abuse of a dominant position." I wouldn't say it breaches them either. Whatever it does is for the protection of the companies it has working for it. If everyone was allowed to steal games, then no games would be produced and everybody loses. They're trying to remain a competitive business. Besides, every agreement breaches 101 in theory

Sony as well as breaching Article 101 and 102 of the the European treaty, by removing the OtherOS feature and effectively locking customers out of software and 10gig of disc space, are acting as a Cartel by stopping 3rd party developers from writing software to run on the system. Sony have convictions in the past for acting as a Cartel they also have many convictions for dishonesty and deceiving their customers.

The Jailbreak has many uses, and Sony wish to focus on the one that they do not approve of.

As a gamer you should appreciate the value of being able to load games on the hard drive and save the wear and tear on the Blue-Ray lasers that are failing in droves. Not to mention fragmentation on the hard drive. I think linux is a very useful tool and one of the reasons the PS3 was the most expensive game console when it was launched. They made promise after promise not to remove the feature and by removing it turned the PS3 from a computer back into a limited game console. Ok if you just want to play games i guess!

There is a list of a few convictions Sony has at this link:
28-02-2011, 01:32 PM
No, it was expensive because SONY had to match the price of a BLu-Ray player to not lose money. In 2006, that was around $500.
I do appreciate downloads and stored games, but having grown up with discs and cartridges it's ingrained into me. I wouldn't say BLu Ray lasers are failing in droves. I rarely hear of them dying. The PS3 still has the Defrag tool. And if they had to remove Linux to stop piracy and hackers, then so be it. I would much rather have real games and a safe system (although, thanks to failoverflow) than Linux on my PS3.
And looking at my disc status, it hasn't locked me outta 10gig. They're not stopping other parties from writing software, but they have to go through the proper means to do it. And if the software is not suitable then SONY stops them, seeing as SONY would take the rap.

28-02-2011, 01:59 PM
In February 2007, Phil Harrison of Sony said:
“One of the most powerful things about the PS3 is the ‘Install Other OS’ option.”

Sony’s PS3 Linux Distributor’s Starter Kit, 2006-2009, provides:
“The Linux Distributor’s Starter Kit provides information, binary and source codes to Linux Distribution developers who want to make their distro support PS3.

In May 2006, Izumi Kawanishi of Sony said:
“Because we have plans for having Linux on board [the PS3], we also recognize Linux programming activities… Other than game studios tied to official developer licenses, we’d like to see various individuals participate in content creation for the PS3”

In August 2009, Geoffrey Levand of Sony said:
“Please be assured that SCE is committed to continue the support for previously sold models that have the “Install Other OS” feature and that this feature will not be disabled in future firmware releases.”

In May 2006, Phil Harrison of Sony said:
“The Playstation 3 is a computer. We do not need the PC.”

Sony recently affirmed it’s continued commitment to support the full features on the “fat” original PS3 units via mailing list posts:
“The feature of “Install Other OS” was removed from the new “Slim” PS3 model to focus on delivering games and other entertainment content. Please be assured that SCE is committed to continue the support for previously sold models that have the “Install Other OS” feature and that this feature will not be disabled in future firmware releases.”

I would think it would take a Sony employee to defend Sony on this one.
28-02-2011, 06:20 PM
Look, I'm telling you this bluntly now:
It was mainly to cut costs; it wasn't used by most people so was something that wouldn't be missed much by the main population.
Another reason would be because they may have felt having the ability to install Linux might make it easier to eventually access the cell processor to hack a PS3. 99% of PS3 owners probably wouldn't know how to use the Linux OS anyway so there wasn't much reason to enable its installation on the PS3. People wanted a cheaper PS3, doing this made the Slim cheaper.