• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A couple of things about coding
C# is actually somewhat of a combination of C++ and Java. C++ was standardized in the 80's and all it really is is C with objective based programming. C came out of AT&T labs back in the 70's and is what was used to write the first widely used form of Unix. I personally find C# a disaster(for many reasons beyond the scope of this) and so I personally never use it. I prefer C over all others but if I am doing code where classes are of benefit to use I will use C++.
Assembly code or ASM is actually the first language I learned and so it is dear to my heart. It is a bit tedious but understanding it has been instrumental in making me a good functional programmer. Most rootkits/antirootkits programs are written in C and ASM so I still to this day use it with a fair amount of frequency.
Machine language does not take "years" to learn, it just isn't a very efficient means of accomplishing most tasks. The biggest issue with machine code years ago used to be that there is no standardization. In other words each different processor/chipset had a different set of instructions that you had to be familiar with. Usually to lessen the length of the code hexadecimal code was preferred over straight binary. In other words a number like 1,445,000 in binary would be "101100000110010001000" in binary and 0x160C88 in hexa. To this day machine code is still used especially when building compilers. The two most widely used "code sets" are IA64 for Intel and AMD64 for as you would guess AMD's chip sets.
As to your constants often times in C "character constant macros" are used in for C programs when you have a value that is used throughout to save on runtime computation, so generally your ideas are correct.
Am I to assume you are taking a computer science course Craig? Best of luck to you, let us know how your progress goes.
[Image: icpn5k.jpg]
Trolls are the last thing you need to be concerned with.

VCD Wrote:// Forever more, count and reply, bitch.

Messages In This Thread
A couple of things about coding - by Craig - 05-10-2010, 12:08 AM