• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[TUT] How to cut a 120mm / 12cm fan hole
How to cut a 120mm / 12cm fan hole

This is a pictured tutorial on how to cut fan holes on your computer case.
This same method can be used to cut either 80mm, 92mm, 120mm or 140mm holes, it's a fairly easy and straightforward job and can be pulled off using a limited number of tools.

Fan templates

Here's a pdf file with templates for 80mm, 92mm, 120mm and 140mm fans.

The tools required
  • Dremel or cutting tool
  • Drill
  • Drill bits
  • Files
  • Pen / Pencil
  • Masking tape
  • Safety Goggles
  • Fan templates

I can tell you from past experience it's far better to wear goggles for three minutes rather than spending three hours in your local A&E department.

1. Print off the fan template and cut it out. Measure the position you want the fan to be then stick the template into place and align accordingly. Be sure to get the positioning 100% correct.

[Image: 21masno.jpg]

2. Once the template is securely in place we're now ready to drill the four corner screw holes and centre hole. To do this use a small drill bit, around 3mm. Hetting the holes accurate is very important so take your time.

[Image: 290v9ly.jpg]

3. With the five holes now drilled, place the fan onto the panel, line the screw holes up then draw around the internal section of the fan body. This is the section you're going to be cutting out.

[Image: 2yjrfo4.jpg]

4. Instead of diving straight in with my dremel, I drilled a few pilot holes first, starting with a 3mm drill bit then moving up to a 10mm bit. This allows you to get a start on cutting easily. Remember when using a dremel, do NOT put pressure on the cutting discs or they'll just snap.

[Image: 243jhx3.jpg]

5. Take your time cutting. Once you've completed the cutting, and checked that it's the right size, you'll need to file the sharp edges down and tidy the cut up a bit using your file(s). I used a half rounded.

[Image: zu592w.jpg]

6. Drill the pilot 3mm hole for the fan screws that you drilled before, using a bigger drill bit (choose one big enough that you can get your fan screws in), but not too big. Then, finally, position the fan and screw it in.

[Image: ehf60h.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
[TUT] How to cut a 120mm / 12cm fan hole - by Mark - 04-10-2010, 08:27 PM