howtothings.co.uk
Antivirus - Printable Version

+- howtothings.co.uk (https://www.howtothings.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Computing (https://www.howtothings.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Operating System and Software Support (https://www.howtothings.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Thread: Antivirus (/showthread.php?tid=771)

Pages: 1 2

Antivirus - elmer1007 - 18-02-2011

I want to install an antivirus program to my PC but I don't know which to install. Can anyone tell me what antivirus are you using? And what's your feedback about it.

RE: Antivirus - Mark - 18-02-2011

On any Windows system that I run I use Avira AntiVir, I highly recommend it as it's extremely light on system resources as well as it doing a good job picking up infections. Couple it with a decent Firewall, and an Anti-Malware program and you're good to go.

RE: Antivirus - bigsharn - 18-02-2011

If however you don't mind paying for your AV, get ESET's NOD32. It's about the best one money can buy.

Personally I use Avast! because none of my machines have any sensitive information on them, and it doesn't matter if they go down as I always have a spare Smile

RE: Antivirus - Pack3t SynAck3r - 19-02-2011

All the anti-viruses available for windows machines are shit. I have watched as one by one each has been defeated. It is rather bleak, you had better be very conscious of how your machine runs. I could recommend the one that fails the least number of times, but people's opinions on a/v software are like assholes, everybody has got one, and so I decline to add to the mass confusion. The attitude that any software or combo of software is going to cover your ass 100% is utter madness.

RE: Antivirus - latch - 19-02-2011

(19-02-2011, 08:28 AM)Pack3t SynAck3r Wrote: All the anti-viruses available for windows machines are shit. I have watched as one by one each has been defeated. It is rather bleak, you had better be very conscious of how your machine runs. I could recommend the one that fails the least number of times, but people's opinions on a/v software are like assholes, everybody has got one, and so I decline to add to the mass confusion. The attitude that any software or combo of software is going to cover your ass 100% is utter madness.

Yup, I have found that education is the best form of antivirus- by this I mean reading about some of the ways they get on your computer and avoiding them. I tell my clients, "If its bad for your soul, its probably bad for your computer, too." That's not to say that is fool proof either, but it's a good start. Most of the time, I can see in a client's surfing habits if they will have a problem. Often, a client will call me because they have a virus or their computer is kacked shorty after their neighbor kid got on their computer or a brother in law stayed with them. The computer is almost always kacked because of a change in behavior. Like a detective, I say, "What happened between when it used to work and now that its a hurting unit?"

Like you said, being in tune and feeling the rhythm of how your computer responds should be on your mind- I don't run any antivirus software on my computers unless there is a problem- except for my netbook which is in the field with me. I actually picked up the blaster worm while working on a client's computer one time- don't remember how, not paying attention. Anyway, I then had to fix mine and his at the same time. Fortunately, the customer was not hovering behind me at the time. :facepalm

(19-02-2011, 06:44 PM)latch Wrote:
(19-02-2011, 08:28 AM)Pack3t SynAck3r Wrote: All the anti-viruses available for windows machines are shit. I have watched as one by one each has been defeated. It is rather bleak, you had better be very conscious of how your machine runs. I could recommend the one that fails the least number of times, but people's opinions on a/v software are like assholes, everybody has got one, and so I decline to add to the mass confusion. The attitude that any software or combo of software is going to cover your ass 100% is utter madness.

Yup, I have found that education is the best form of antivirus- by this I mean reading about some of the ways they get on your computer and avoiding them. I tell my clients, "If its bad for your soul, its probably bad for your computer, too." That's not to say that is fool proof either, but it's a good start. Most of the time, I can see in a client's surfing habits if they will have a problem. Often, a client will call me because they have a virus or their computer is kacked shorty after their neighbor kid got on their computer or a brother in law stayed with them. The computer is almost always kacked because of a change in behavior. Like a detective, I say, "What happened between when it used to work and now that its a hurting unit?"

Like you said, being in tune and feeling the rhythm of how your computer responds should be on your mind- I don't run any antivirus software on my computers unless there is a problem- except for my netbook which is in the field with me. I actually picked up the blaster worm while working on a client's computer one time- don't remember how, not paying attention. Anyway, I then had to fix mine and his at the same time. Fortunately, the customer was not hovering behind me at the time. :facepalm
Lol, so you are sitting there working and all of a sudden you get the dreaded 60 second countdown. DOH! How long ago was this? The patch came out for that thing about 8 or 9 years ago, lol. A lot of the ISP networks still have that worm repropagating from their old crappy DSL servers. Why fix the source of the problem when you can cure the symptom!
BTW, I fail to see how looking at big titties is bad for your soul, does mine just fine.

(19-02-2011, 08:19 PM)Pack3t SynAck3r Wrote:
(19-02-2011, 06:44 PM)latch Wrote:

Lol, so you are sitting there working and all of a sudden you get the dreaded 60 second countdown. DOH! How long ago was this? The patch came out for that thing about 8 or 9 years ago, lol. A lot of the ISP networks still have that worm repropagating from their old crappy DSL servers. Why fix the source of the problem when you can cure the symptom!
BTW, I fail to see how looking at big titties is bad for your soul, does mine just fine.

Oops, maybe it wasn't the blaster worm. Maybe it was Downadup.

BTW, I find it amusing that's what you assume I'm talking about! Hahaha!

The wicked flee when no one is pursuing..

The rocks will be melting when I run to them, and the sea will be boiling.

Because of a virus!?

RE: Antivirus - Pack3t SynAck3r - 20-02-2011

Do you really think a virus could do that to ME? Surely you are joking.